1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spin-orbit coupling in a mercury atom

1. Dec 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is to determine which has a more dominant effect on the energy of a given state in mercury, spin-orbit interaction or the Zeeman effect, when the applied magnetic field B is about 2T.

2. Relevant equations

As long as the spin-orbit interaction is the dominant effect, I can calculate the Zeeman energy from
    [tex]E_{Z}=\mu_{B}\g_{J}Bm_{J}[/tex],
    but I'm at a loss trying to figure out whether this is a lot or very little compared to the spin-orbit interaction.

3. The attempt at a solution

The first-order spin-orbit correction to the energy of a hydrogen level is given by

[tex]E^{1}_{so}=\frac{E_{n}^{2}}{2mc^{2}}\left(\frac{n[j(j+1)-l(l+1)-s(s+1)]}{l(l+1/2)(l+1)}\right)[/tex]

How does this generalize to atoms with more than 1 electron? Can I just substitute for j, l, and s the atomic quantum numbers J, L, and S, and get a rough estimate? and if so, what do I substitute for [tex]E_{n)[/tex]? (I understand that for the exact answer I'd have to take into account the two electron's interaction with each other's orbitals plus some exchage terms as well, but all I really need to know is if the two figures are in the same ballpark...)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?