Spinal cortisone and painkiller injections

• Medical
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    evo
In summary: I will be sedated YAY, and will have mulitple facet spinal injections, sacroilliac injections, and an epidural, all of pain killers and cortisone. The injections have to be guided through a fluoroscope (a type of real time x-ray). Basically I have so many problems that were found in my last MRI, they're just going to do everything. Although that takes the least time and costs less, they won't have any idea which injections were necessary and which worked, which didn't.Hey, why not? But that may not matter since the chances of success is usually only around 30%. If successful, pain relief may only last a week, can
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Wish me luck, tomorrow I am going in for multiple spinal injections.

I will be sedated YAY, and will have mulitple facet spinal injections, sacroilliac injections, and an epidural, all of pain killers and cortisone. The injections have to be guided through a fluoroscope ( a type of real time x-ray). Basically I have so many problems that were found in my last MRI, they're just going to do everything. Although that takes the least time and costs less, they won't have any idea which injections were necessary and which worked, which didn't. Hey, why not?

But that may not matter since the chances of success is usually only around 30%. If successful, pain relief may only last a week, can't be done more than 3 times a year and ultimately will destroy the cartillage in the area.

I had injections last year and I had a bad reaction, the pain got worse, not better, this happens. But they want to go whole hog this time.

My pain will increase for several days before it starts to get better, if it gets better. So, micromass will be my backup for the next few days if I can't sit up. (note to self, remind micro)

Biology news on Phys.org
I hope everything will go well. Fingers crossed. Good luck.

Although knowing your history I am already afraid :cry:

Oh my, I wish you the best of luck!

Wow! I hate to have you subjected to the the vagaries of medical "sciences" to that extent. All the best... Come back to us at least a bit more comfortable and well.

This won't be a good day... Fear Factor. (my fear, not yours)

Last edited:
As a "good luck" measure...
ALIENS!

Oh, God... Evo, I and your PF buddies will be thinking of you, I picture the hand of God guiding the Dr's instruments with their fluids into you in such a way as to cause you the least amount of pain.

About 7 years ago, when I was writhing on the floor curled up in pain from a kidney stone, barely able to breathe to break the tension, I called a co-worker and friend. He asked what was wrong, and I said, "Owwwww, Owwwww", etc... The conversation broke the pain long enough for me to gather myself and get my wife to drive me to the emergency room. At times like this a little laughter goes a long way. We laugh about it now too. Try to keep the light at the end of the tunnel in sight, it will help.

Rhody... o:)

Good luck, Evo!

(I've had a few spinal injections myself, so I know a little of what you're going through.)

Borek said:
I hope everything will go well. Fingers crossed. Good luck.

Although knowing your history I am already afraid :cry:

Monique said:
Oh my, I wish you the best of luck!

turbo said:
Wow! I hate to have you subjected to the the vagaries of medical "sciences" to that extent. All the best... Come back to us at least a bit more comfortable and well.

This won't be a good day... Fear Factor. (my fear, not yours)
Thanks guys, I was reading the pile of "this can happen" scenarios from the doctor and got called by 3 nurses yesterday warning me of things, had to go online and agree that death or paralysis was an ok alternative :frown:. It was kind of depressing.

rhody said:
Oh, God... Evo, I and your PF buddies will be thinking of you, I picture the hand of God guiding the Dr's instruments with their fluids into you in such a way as to cause you the least amount of pain.

About 7 years ago, when I was writhing on the floor curled up in pain from a kidney stone, barely able to breathe to break the tension, I called a co-worker and friend. He asked what was wrong, and I said, "Owwwww, Owwwww", etc... The conversation broke the pain long enough for me to gather myself and get my wife to drive me to the emergency room. At times like this a little laughter goes a long way. We laugh about it now too. Try to keep the light at the end of the tunnel in sight, it will help.

Rhody... o:)
Thanks humor always helps, I hope your surgery goes well. I feel for you.

Doc Al said:
Good luck, Evo!

(I've had a few spinal injections myself, so I know a little of what you're going through.)
Where they the guided ones? I'm surprised that they doing so many injections all at once, just the sacroiliac ones take a hour.

Best of luck - my thoughts are with you o:)!

Evo said:
Thanks guys, I was reading the pile of "this can happen" scenarios from the doctor and got called by 3 nurses yesterday warning me of things, had to go online and agree that death or paralysis was an ok alternative :frown:. It was kind of depressing.
That's not an ok alternative! I'm sure you'll pull through, you're one though lady judging from your record. Tell the doctors to take good care of you.

rhody said:
What is it with kidney stones that makes them so painful? I had an attack a few weeks ago and didn't know what to do with myself, there was nothing that could ease the pain, no position that was even remotely comfortable. I've had pains before that would make me break out in a sweat and vomit, but the kidney stone broke the pain-intensity record.

Stones are not fun. I have had a few minor incidents, and they were crippling. And they were quite minor in the sense that the stones managed to navigate my ductwork and pass. Still those were painful days.

I hope everything goes ok Evo! Hurry back soon.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I am terrified of stones after a few PF threads!
I spent a whole day stretched out in the front seat of a Caddy, driving from Atlanta to a plant in south Alabama (then gulf Florida), trying to ignore the pain. There were a couple of GP stalwarts in the back seat who were of the evangelical persuasion, and I tried a bit of humor. When we stopped at a supermarket, I told my project manager (who was driving) that even if we didn't need anything, we should go into the store and hang out in frozen foods to watch the womens' nipples get hard. That joke was not a crowd-pleaser with the tight-*** butt boys. By the time we got to our hotel, I had to send him out to get me a couple of 6-packs of beer. I drank as much as I could without using the bathroom. When I felt about to burst, I went to the bathroom and heard a little "clink". Nothing ever felt so good. Stay hydrated, Greg! You might be interesting if you stay "thirsty", but I don't recommend it.

A co-worker's wife had her kidney-stones shattered with ultrasound, and passing the shards were "way" more painful than natural childbirth. I don't ever want to have significant stones to deal with.

Evo said:
Where they the guided ones? I'm surprised that they doing so many injections all at once, just the sacroiliac ones take a hour.
Yes, mine were guided via fluoroscope. I had a very positive result. The first one relieved about 95% of the problem; the second took care of the last 5%.

That was quite a while ago. A few years ago, I had a sudden 'attack' of lower back pain--ended up being a ruptured disk. (Felt like I was struck by lightning!) I'm OK now, but the toes of my left foot are still numb.

I am obsessive about back exercises now!

I'm hoping for the best for you!

I'm really worried :cry:

I really hope that things go alright. Let us know something when it's finished, ok??

:cry:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I am terrified of stones after a few PF threads!
The only thing that may come close, Greg, is voluntarily eating a whole ghost pepper, or worse, a trinidad scorpion pepper. Different kind of pain, but I would put the sympathetic nervous system pain on the same level as physical nervous system pain.

I have experienced both. The only saving grace with eating a hot pepper is that you know there is an end to it in less than a half of an hour. :devil:

Rhody...

Eating hot chilies is a choice. Waking up with a stabbing non-relieving pain in your lower abdomen/extremities is not too fun. Stones ain't fun. It's one thing to have "heat" moving through the digestive tract. It is entirely another matter to have stones "ice-picking" your urinary tract for as long as that can last. No fun.

Hi Evo

My thoughts are with you.

All the best

Andre

Doc Al said:
Yes, mine were guided via fluoroscope. I had a very positive result. The first one relieved about 95% of the problem; the second took care of the last 5%.

That was quite a while ago. A few years ago, I had a sudden 'attack' of lower back pain--ended up being a ruptured disk. (Felt like I was struck by lightning!) I'm OK now, but the toes of my left foot are still numb.

I am obsessive about back exercises now!

I'm hoping for the best for you!
I survived and am home. I have diffuse bulging discs, spinal stenosis, pinched nerves, I have bone spurs, and advanced degenerative spinal disease, multilevel lumbar spondylosis, and anterolisthesis, as the diagnostic summary.

The doctor told me that I can expect the pain to increase over the next 6 months if the injections are helping. :uhh: (Due to a difference in muscle use) Great. As the nurse wheeled me out she told me not to give up if the injections don't help, she said most people have to return several times before they start to improve.

Right now I just have a lot of stinging along my spine from the injections and the same pain in my rear. Same leg pain. But, it says that it takes 5-6 days to start working. Blegh.

Evo said:
I survived and am home. I have diffuse bulging discs, spinal stenosis, pinched nerves, I have bone spurs, and advanced degenerative spinal disease, multilevel lumbar spondylosis, and anterolisthesis, as the diagnostic summary.

The doctor told me that I can expect the pain to increase over the next 6 months if the injections are helping. :uhh: (Due to a difference in muscle use) Great. As the nurse wheeled me out she told me not to give up if the injections don't help, she said most people have to return several times before they start to improve.

Right now I just have a lot of stinging along my spine from the injections and the same pain in my rear. Same leg pain. But, it says that it takes 5-6 days to start working. Blegh.

Oh my God. I'm so relieved that everything is alright :redface:
I hope the injections start working soon and that the stupid pain starts going away.

Evo said:
As the nurse wheeled me out she told me not to give up if the injections don't help, she said most people have to return several times before they start to improve.

Wahhh! Why? Doesn't "medicine work ?

turbo said:
Wahhh! Why? Doesn't "medicine work ?
There could be too much inflamation for one set of injections to relieve. There could be permanent nerve damage (they think I have). There could be physical problems (bone spurs) (I have). There could be incurable progressive spinal disease (I have). So, it's a waiting game. I had 2 injections last year that didn't work, but they wanted to try again with a BUNCH of injections all at once.

I know I have to wait, if they help, the results won't be immediate. I will stay positive.

There's always surgery as an option. But I prefer going the injection route in the hope that it gives me enough relief. I just want to sleep.

Last edited:
Evo said:
There could be too much inflamation for one set of injections to relieve. There could be permanent nerve damage (they think I have). There could be physical problems (bone spurs) (I have). There could be incurable progressive spinal disease (I have). So, it's a waiting game. I had 2 injections last year that didn't work, but they wanted to try again with a BUNCH of injections all at once.

I know I have to wait, if they help, the results won't be immediate. I will stay positive.

There's always surgery as an option. But I prefer going the injection route in the hope that it gives me enough relief. I just want to sleep.

I hope for the very best outcome for you!

lisab said:
I hope for the very best outcome for you!
Thanks, I'm sure I'll have some improvement. Then I can have the stomach surgery. :tongue2:

Wow! I missed this thread yesterday and today. :frown:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and good health going forward.
Evo said:
Thanks, I'm sure I'll have some improvement. Then I can have the stomach surgery. :tongue2:
That's the spirit. :approve:

We are with you, Evo! Less pain, more sleep, speedy recovery!

Same here, wishing you a good rest and good recovery!

Well, I suffered last night from spinal fluid leaking from the epidural causing a *spinal headache*, since my daughter couldn't pick me up her BF did and the nurse says she told him to watch me for signs of problems such as excrutianing headache that didn't respond to opiate painkillers. Since he just dropped me off at home, he forgot. The nurse called me this morning and asked about my pain and when I told her about the heache, she goes "you were supposed to go to the ER if that happened!. Oh well. It's not as bad right now, but seems to be getting worse, so I am supposed to lie down.

I think a Hardee's burger would help.

Evo said:
Well, I suffered last night from spinal fluid leaking from the epidural causing a *spinal headache*, since my daughter couldn't pick me up her BF did and the nurse says she told him to watch me for signs of problems such as excrutianing headache that didn't respond to opiate painkillers. Since he just dropped me off at home, he forgot. The nurse called me this morning and asked about my pain and when I told her about the heache, she goes "you were supposed to go to the ER if that happened!. Oh well. It's not as bad right now, but seems to be getting worse, so I am supposed to lie down.

I think a Hardee's burger would help.

:cry: You seem to be going through a hell right now. I wish I could do something :cry:

micromass said:
:cry: You seem to be going through a hell right now. I wish I could do something :cry:
Dolphins...send the dolphin thoughts, no white sharks...

Can you get Flipper re-runs?

Please get better. Flipper, not Jaws.

Well, today is day 6. No noticeable improvement, same pain as before if I bend, lean, stand, sit. Can't pick things up. Plus now I'm having excrutiating spinal headaches that don't respond to opiate painkillers.

On the positive side, the headaches are so bad that it helps me forget about my hips, legs and feet.

:frown:

Shouldn't you go to the ER then? Or see some kind of doctor??

:cry::cry:

<h2>1. What are spinal cortisone and painkiller injections?</h2><p>Spinal cortisone and painkiller injections are medical procedures in which a combination of corticosteroids and painkillers are injected into the spinal area to reduce inflammation and alleviate pain.</p><h2>2. What conditions can be treated with spinal cortisone and painkiller injections?</h2><p>These injections are commonly used to treat conditions such as sciatica, herniated discs, spinal stenosis, and other types of back pain.</p><h2>3. How do spinal cortisone and painkiller injections work?</h2><p>The corticosteroids in the injections help to reduce inflammation and swelling in the affected area, while the painkillers provide temporary relief from pain. This combination can help to alleviate symptoms and promote healing.</p><h2>4. Are there any risks or side effects associated with these injections?</h2><p>As with any medical procedure, there are potential risks and side effects associated with spinal cortisone and painkiller injections. These may include temporary pain or discomfort at the injection site, infection, nerve damage, and allergic reactions. It is important to discuss these potential risks with your doctor before undergoing the procedure.</p><h2>5. How long do the effects of spinal cortisone and painkiller injections last?</h2><p>The duration of relief from these injections can vary depending on the individual and the specific condition being treated. In some cases, the effects may last for a few weeks or months, while in others, the relief may be longer lasting. Your doctor can provide more information on what to expect in your particular case.</p>

1. What are spinal cortisone and painkiller injections?

Spinal cortisone and painkiller injections are medical procedures in which a combination of corticosteroids and painkillers are injected into the spinal area to reduce inflammation and alleviate pain.

2. What conditions can be treated with spinal cortisone and painkiller injections?

These injections are commonly used to treat conditions such as sciatica, herniated discs, spinal stenosis, and other types of back pain.

3. How do spinal cortisone and painkiller injections work?

The corticosteroids in the injections help to reduce inflammation and swelling in the affected area, while the painkillers provide temporary relief from pain. This combination can help to alleviate symptoms and promote healing.

4. Are there any risks or side effects associated with these injections?

As with any medical procedure, there are potential risks and side effects associated with spinal cortisone and painkiller injections. These may include temporary pain or discomfort at the injection site, infection, nerve damage, and allergic reactions. It is important to discuss these potential risks with your doctor before undergoing the procedure.

5. How long do the effects of spinal cortisone and painkiller injections last?

The duration of relief from these injections can vary depending on the individual and the specific condition being treated. In some cases, the effects may last for a few weeks or months, while in others, the relief may be longer lasting. Your doctor can provide more information on what to expect in your particular case.