What Caused Tsu's Chest Pains? A Night at the ER

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Tsu started experiencing chest pains last night and decided to go to the hospital. After a tense 30-minute drive, she was admitted and diagnosed with pneumonia. Although there were concerns about a possible clot, tests came back negative and she was given antibiotics. She is now home and feeling better. During the crisis, an aspirin was given to her under her tongue as a precaution. The possibility of calling 911 instead of driving was discussed, but in the end, Tsu was safely transported to the hospital. It is important to remain cautious of atypical symptoms and seek medical attention promptly in case of another similar incident.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Last night Tsu started having chest pains. By about 1 AM it was bad enough that she thought she had better get to the hospital. After a very tense 30 minute race through a fairly thick fog, we arrived at the ER door. By the time I could get out of the car, they already had her in the exam room.

When I walked in she didn't look good at all! Glad to say that after a few hours we knew it wasn't immediately life threatening. She was admitted for additional tests, which seem to indicate that the pain was caused by a bit of pneumonia in just the right spot.

Whewwwwww. That was a close one! After ruling out heart failure, the doc looked worried and kept asking if she had ever had a clot, which had us both worried. It was a huge relief when that test came back negative.

I'm probably going to pick her up again later this afternoon.

For those who don't know my wife, she has been in diagnostic medicine for over thirty years. When she says she had better get to an ER, there is no time to waste. Whewww. The thirty minutes that it took to drive there were thirty of the most tense minutes of my life [and hers no doubt!].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I sincerely hope Tsu&you will be well.

All my best wishes to tsu.

Best wishes, Tsu!

I had a brain-stem stroke due to a clot thrown by my heart after being in atrial fibrillation (reaction to medicine), so the doctor was right to be cautious about that. A tiny little clot in just the right place can ruin your life, or end it.

Oh my, that must've been scary. Good thing that she is in good hands now, I hope she starts feeling better soon!

Oh I hope you're better soon, Tsu!

Get well Tsu. Hope to see your reply here soon. :)

Wow! Best wishes for Tsu.

Also, keep a bottle of aspirin handy. One or two aspirin under the tongue can save a life.

Thirty minutes to an ER is a loooonnngg time!

Get better TSU!

Ivan, how is her pneumonia?

:bugeye: Wow, Ivan. That's indeed a scary night! My best wishes that everything goes smoothly for you both. Sounds like everything's going to be ok, thank goodness.

Ivan, I'm glad to hear things turned out relatively ok.

Get well, Tsu!

Yes, very scary. Glad Tsu is okay, and that you drove safely enough to get her to the ED in one piece. I'm assuming that calling paramedics would not have saved any time?

I just finished reading an article in JEMS about atypical presentations, and it sounds like Tsu fits right in with several groups of folks who can present an MI with atypical (or almost no) symptoms. Consider reading this over, and not letting Tsu decide to wait so long to head to the ED if something like this happens again...

http://www.jems.com/article/patient-care/treating-patients-atypical-car

Very glad that you both are okay now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very glad that you both are okay now too.

Scary indeed.

good luck. i had pneumonia once and it nearly killed me. i actually collapsed on my way into the ER and got picked up by a couple of guys outside on a smoke break.

Thanks, everyone. Tsu is home and the pain seems to have subsided for the most part. Beyond the pain, there are no other symptoms, so beyond being exhausted, she feels fine. They gave her antibiotics for the pneumonia.

I'll take a look and make sure Tsu does as well, Berke. And yes, it's a bit of a draw as to whether we call 911, or run, during a crisis. Had she collapsed while I was driving, I figured I'll call 911 from there and start CPR. I was joking that she's lucky it was so foggy out. Otherwise my driving probably would have given her a heart attack! I have done over 100 mph before on these back roads before and wouldn't hesistate in a crisis, less fog and ice.

Astro, the first thing I did was grab her an aspirin. I even got a few brownie points for thinking of that one before Tsu did. :biggrin: In fact, this is such a standard now that the hospital gave her another aspirin later, even after giving her nitro.

Last edited:
Ivan knows that if he injured Tsu, even in the process of trying to help her, would incur the WRATH of THE SISTERS!

Not to mention that Tsu is my twin sister (separated at birth).

Ivan Seeking said:
Thanks, everyone. Tsu is home and the pain seems to have subsided for the most part. Beyond the pain, there are no other symptoms, so beyond being exhausted, she feels fine. They gave her antibiotics for the pneumonia.

I'll take a look and make sure Tsu does as well, Berke. And yes, it's a bit of a draw as to whether we call 911, or run, during a crisis. I was joking that she's lucky it was so foggy out. Otherwise my driving probably would have given her a heart attack! I have done over 100 mph before on these back roads before and wouldn't hesistate in a crisis, less fog.

Astro, the first thing I did was grab her an aspirin. I even got a few brownie points for thinking of that one before Tsu did. :biggrin:

Question about aspirin: I've always heard to place an aspirin under the tongue if there's a possibility of a heart attack. Why is that better than just swallowing it? Is it absorbed that much faster?

lisab said:
Question about aspirin: I've always heard to place an aspirin under the tongue if there's a possibility of a heart attack. Why is that better than just swallowing it? Is it absorbed that much faster?

Yes, in fact they now tell you to chew it, but just one [325 mg].

Edit: Well, that's the last thing that I've heard or read from a reputable source.

Ivan Seeking said:
I was joking that she's lucky it was so foggy out. Otherwise my driving probably would have given her a heart attack! I have done over 100 mph before on these back roads before and wouldn't hesistate in a crisis, less fog.

I remember once when my mom coughed up some blood. My dad drove like a maniac to get her to the hospital(We lived in a rural area). My mom kept telling him to slow down before he killed them both.

Pneumonia is no fun. I had it over 20 years ago and it ended up leading to a case of pleurisy.

I hope Tsu starts feeling better.

lisab said:
I believe the point is to dissolve it quickly and some is quickly taken up through the sublingual blood vessels (nitroglycerin is also given under the tongue). I've also read that one shoud chew the aspirin and swallow it. At least 160 mg of aspirin is recommended.

Please give Tsu my love. Hope she is feeling much better now.

p.s. Good job taking care of her, Ivan!

Astronuc said:
I believe the point is to dissolve it quickly and some is quickly taken up through the sublingual blood vessels (nitroglycerin is also given under the tongue). I've also read that one shoud chew the aspirin and swallow it. At least 160 mg of aspirin is recommended.
What I've read agrees with Astronuc, chew and swallow it, do not place it under the tongue.

Please remember that any suspected head injury is a contra-indication for aspirin or any other blood thinners. Absent a suspected head injury, most local BLS protocols allow suggesting/offering asiprin to the Pt.

I'm glad to hear that our favourite gal is going to be okay. Even when she isn't posting, I can sense her lurking over your shoulder. Knowing that she's around makes me happy. Long live Tsu!

I chewed, but I didn't swallow. :smile:

:) Thanks everyone! I so appreciate your good wishes.

I'm doing just fine. I had been to the dental hygenist the day before so I was most concerned about the possiblity of pericarditis. I have a heart murmur so I have to take antibiotics prior to cleaning to prevent such a thing, but nothing is guaranteed. Cat scan ruled out the clot and the pericarditis, and the nuc. med. cardiac scan showed a very healthy heart with a good ejection fraction. Doc said I was in good shape while doing the treadmill. :)

They did notice a possible pneumonia on the cat scan that didn't show on the chest xray and also a nodule on an adrenal gland that will be followed up in 4-6 weeks. Meanwhile, a quick round of antibiotics and a couple days off...

Hmmm... the adrenal nodule COULD possibly explain the intense, excessive sweating I've been experiencing... "Hey! COOL! I'm not going thru menopause! I have a pheochromocytoma!" :smile:

Last edited:
:smile:

Nice to have you back Tsu. :)

Holy ... Ivan, I am glad your wife is OK, that must have made your heart palpitate just a bit too. Pneumonia and an adrenal gland run a bit amok. Hope everything works out for you, Tsu.

Rhody...

That must have been very frightening for both you.

Nice rescue work, Ivan!

Glad to see you're up and typing, Tsu. I hope you're all mended really soon.

I'm doing just fine. I'd go back to work today if Ivan would let me but Monday will have to do.

GeorginaS said:
Nice rescue work, Ivan!

Yeah sure, we should cheer him up!

Three cheers for Ivan. :wink:

Tsu said:
I'm doing just fine. I'd go back to work today if Ivan would let me but Monday will have to do.

Glad you're feeling so well now... but do rest up and let Ivan take care of you a bit more!

Tsu says "Ivan, peel me a grape!"

turbo-1 said:
Tsu says "Ivan, peel me a grape!"

:smile: You've got it!

Btw, this is the first I've heard of the possible nodule on the adrenal gland. Always the last to know... :biggrin:

Well, shoot. I was on drugs. I thought you were there when he told me about it. :rolleyes:

Tsu said:
Well, shoot. I was on drugs. I thought you were there when he told me about it. :rolleyes:
Take advantage while you can, woman!