Spinning a bucket in a vertical circle

In summary, to keep the water in the bucket, the centrifugal force must be equal to the weight of the water. This can be achieved by setting the equations for centrifugal force and weight equal to each other and solving for velocity. Therefore, the required speed for the bucket to complete the circle without spilling any water is given by v = sqrt(gr), where g is the acceleration due to gravity and r is the radius of the circle.
proace360

Homework Statement

You swing a 6.5 kg bucket of water in a vertical circle of radius 1.2 m.
(a) What speed must the bucket have if it is to complete the circle without spilling any water?

m=6.5
r=1.2

Homework Equations

maybe f=ma
f=m(v^2/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was set fc=6.5(V^2)/1.2, and since f=ma, I had a (or v/t)=V^2/1.2. I end up with the equation 1.2vt, which just brings me in circles. What can I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
proace360 said:

Homework Statement

You swing a 6.5 kg bucket of water in a vertical circle of radius 1.2 m.
(a) What speed must the bucket have if it is to complete the circle without spilling any water?

m=6.5
r=1.2

Homework Equations

maybe f=ma
f=m(v^2/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was set fc=6.5(V^2)/1.2, and since f=ma, I had a (or v/t)=V^2/1.2. I end up with the equation 1.2vt, which just brings me in circles. What can I do?

First of all think about where the greatest challenge to keep the water in the bucket will be.

What condition must be met for the water to stay in the bucket and not come out?

Remember that the equation f = (mV^2)/r is a condition that must be satisfied for centrifugal force; it is not a law.

1. What is the concept of spinning a bucket in a vertical circle?

Spinning a bucket in a vertical circle is a physics experiment that involves rotating a bucket or container in a vertical circle around a fixed axis. This experiment demonstrates the concept of centripetal force, which is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path.

2. How is the speed of the bucket affected when it is spun in a vertical circle?

The speed of the bucket increases as it moves downwards in the vertical circle and decreases as it moves upwards. This is because of changes in the direction of the centripetal force, which is always perpendicular to the velocity of the bucket.

3. What factors affect the centripetal force acting on the bucket?

The centripetal force acting on the bucket is affected by the mass of the bucket, the speed at which it is spun, and the radius of the circular path. Increasing any of these factors will result in a greater centripetal force.

4. Can the bucket ever fall out of the circular path while spinning?

As long as the centripetal force is greater than the weight of the bucket, it will continue to move in a circular path. However, if the speed is too low or the radius is too large, the bucket may not experience enough centripetal force and will fall out of the circular path.

5. What is the difference between spinning the bucket with and without water inside?

When the bucket is spun without water, the centripetal force is provided by the tension in the string or rope. However, when water is added to the bucket, the centripetal force is provided by the combination of tension and the weight of the water. This results in a greater centripetal force and a faster rotation of the bucket.