Spinning Sphere travelling along axis of rotation in fluid

Main Question or Discussion Point

What effect does rotation have on a sphere moving through a fluid (liguid or gas) when travelling along the axis of rotation? The simplest being an up or down motion.

Answers and Replies

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Isn't this similar to what happens when you throw a football or baseball or other round(ish) object? And possibly why a bullet is made to spin when its fired. Would this cause the sphrere to be more stable in its motions? I don't know, I'm wondering myself now.

Yes, exactly. Like rifling for a bullet or a stabilizing spin for a football. However, I'm wondering more about whether it would affect velocity or general momentum.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Yes, exactly. Like rifling for a bullet or a stabilizing spin for a football. However, I'm wondering more about whether it would affect velocity or general momentum.
I don't know, but I would guess that it would not unless the spinning somehow caused there to be less friction on the object.

I don't know, but I would guess that it would not unless the spinning somehow caused there to be less friction on the object.
That's just it! Does the spinning cause the fluid to move in a way that DOES decrease the friction? Or does the object somehow acquire more energy from...somewhere?

There are some instances of experiments where an object with spin(travelling along its axis of spin) travels farther and faster than one without...so Im wondering, is that due to some sort of fluid dynamics?