Understanding Induction and Finding Formulas for Summations

In summary, the conversation discusses two homework problems: a proof by induction and finding a formula for a given expression. The solution to the second problem utilizes the well-known formula for the sum of consecutive integers and the idea of removing even integers from a set of all integers to obtain the odd ones.
carlosbgois

Homework Statement

1b) Prove by induction: [itex]1^{3}+...+n^{3}=(1+...+n)^{2}[/itex]
2a) Find a formula for: [itex]\sum^{n}_{i=1}(2i-1)[/itex]

Homework Equations

There's a Hint for 2a): 'What to this expression have to do with [itex]1+2+3+...+2n[/itex]?'

The Attempt at a Solution

In 2a) I've got near the answer, when comparing with the given one, but I can't understand the last thing he does. The solution in the book is:

[itex]\sum^{n}_{i=1}(2i-1)=1+2+3+...+2n-2(1+...+n)
=(2n)(2n+1)/2-n(n+1)[/itex]

And I couldn't understand how to make the second member become the third one, which goes directly to the answer [itex]n^{2}[/itex]

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a well known fact that for positive integer n:

1+2+3+...+n = n(n+1)/2

Use this to obtain the answer.

We can get the odd integers by first starting with all integers and removing those which are even.

Got it, thanks.

What is Spivak 2-1b, 2-2a (induction)?

Spivak 2-1b, 2-2a (induction) is a mathematical concept and technique used to prove statements about all natural numbers. It is a form of mathematical reasoning that involves using a base case and an inductive step to prove that a statement is true for all numbers in a given set.

What is the difference between Spivak 2-1b and 2-2a?

Spivak 2-1b and 2-2a are both variations of the induction technique, but they differ in their approach. Spivak 2-1b uses a direct proof approach, where the inductive step is proven using the statement itself. Spivak 2-2a uses a proof by contradiction approach, where the inductive step is assumed to be false and then shown to lead to a contradiction.

How is Spivak 2-1b, 2-2a (induction) used in mathematics?

Spivak 2-1b, 2-2a (induction) is a fundamental tool in mathematical proofs, particularly in the fields of number theory and discrete mathematics. It is used to prove statements about all natural numbers, which can be applied to solve various mathematical problems and to prove theorems.

What are some examples of statements that can be proven using Spivak 2-1b, 2-2a (induction)?

Examples of statements that can be proven using Spivak 2-1b, 2-2a (induction) include the sum of the first n natural numbers, the product of the first n natural numbers, and the divisibility of a number by 3. It can also be used to prove the binomial theorem and the fundamental theorem of arithmetic.

Are there any limitations to the use of Spivak 2-1b, 2-2a (induction)?

While Spivak 2-1b, 2-2a (induction) is a powerful tool in mathematics, it does have some limitations. It can only be used to prove statements about all natural numbers, and it cannot be used to prove statements about real numbers or other sets of numbers. It is also important to note that a valid base case and a strong inductive step are crucial for a successful proof using this technique.