Spivak Calculus Chapter 1 Problem 3.i

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the equation ##a/b = ac/bc## when ##b,c \neq 0##. The conversation also explores the meaning of this equation and provides hints on how to proceed with the proof. The variables used in the conversation are real numbers.
Shawn Garsed

Homework Statement

Prove the following: ##a / b = ac / bc##, if ##b, c \neq 0##.

Homework Equations

P1-12

The Attempt at a Solution

##a/b = a*b^{-1}##
##1 = c*c^{-1}##
##a/b*1 = (a*b^{-1})(c*c^{-1})##
##a/b = (a*c)(b^{-1}*c^{-1})##

Now, if ##b^{-1}c^{-1} = (bc)^{-1}##, then the problem is easy to solve. However, you don't prove this until problem 3.iii and I'm assuming I can only use P1-12.

Some hints about how to proceed would be very helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shawn Garsed said:

Homework Statement

Prove the following: ##a / b = ac / bc##, if ##b, c \neq 0##.

Homework Equations

P1-12

The Attempt at a Solution

##a/b = a*b^{-1}##
##1 = c*c^{-1}##
##a/b*1 = (a*b^{-1})(c*c^{-1})##
##a/b = (a*c)(b^{-1}*c^{-1})##

Now, if ##b^{-1}c^{-1} = (bc)^{-1}##, then the problem is easy to solve. However, you don't prove this until problem 3.iii and I'm assuming I can only use P1-12.

Some hints about how to proceed would be very helpful.

What is the meaning of ##a/b##; that is, if we say ##a/b = r##, what are we actually saying? In other words, how could you re-write the relation between ##a,b,r## in another way?

What about looking at ##ac(bc)^{-1}bc##?

Ray Vickson said:
What is the meaning of ##a/b##; that is, if we say ##a/b = r##, what are we actually saying? In other words, how could you re-write the relation between ##a,b,r## in another way?
How did I not see that, I feel so stupid.

##1 = b* b^{-1}##
##a = a *(b* b^{-1})##
##a = (a*b^{-1})*b##
##ac = ((a*b^{-1})*b)*c##
##ac = (a*b^{-1})*(bc)##
##(ac)*(bc)^{-1} = (a*b^{-1})*((bc)*(bc)^{-1})##
##(ac)/(bc) = a/b##

I think this is it.

For someone unfamiliar with Spivak, what are the variables? Numbers?

GFauxPas said:
For someone unfamiliar with Spivak, what are the variables? Numbers?

They are real numbers.

FAQ: Spivak Calculus Chapter 1 Problem 3.i

What is the problem statement of "Spivak Calculus Chapter 1 Problem 3.i"?

The problem asks to prove that if a and b are real numbers such that a < b, then there exists a rational number r satisfying a < r < b.

What are the key concepts needed to solve this problem?

The key concepts needed are the properties of real numbers, the Archimedean property, and the density of rational numbers in the real numbers.

What is the strategy for solving this problem?

The strategy is to use the Archimedean property to find a natural number n such that n(b-a) > 1. Then, using the density of rational numbers, find a rational number r such that n(a-r) > 1. This will prove that a < r < b.

What are the steps involved in solving this problem?

The steps involved are: 1) using the Archimedean property to find a natural number n such that n(b-a) > 1, 2) using the density of rational numbers to find a rational number r such that n(a-r) > 1, and 3) proving that a < r < b using the properties of real numbers.

What are some common mistakes made when attempting to solve this problem?

Some common mistakes include using the wrong property or concept, not understanding the definitions of the terms involved, or not following the correct steps in the solution process.

Back