Are the Spring and Pendulum Systems Oscillating with the Same Frequency?

• Thread starter SpaceExplorer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary: This can cause them to oscillate at the same frequency, or in some cases, a resonant frequency may be established.
SpaceExplorer
A weight W is suspended from a rigid support by a hard spring with stiffness constant 'K'. The spring is allowed to have only vertical motion. A simple pendulum of length 'l' with a bob of mass 'm' (mg<<W) is suspended from the weight W and is set oscillating in a horizontal direction. After sometime, the spring is observed to be exhibiting vertical oscillations of high amplitude. Are the 'Spring system' and 'Pendulum system' oscillating with the same frequency? And what should be the function 'f', if K=f(W,l)?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a neat problem - have you had a go tackling it yet?
Have you, say, drawn free body diagrams for the two masses?

What is the context the problem is set?

I'm picturing a slinky coil attached to a piston-head (W) which moves up and down in a cylinder in the ceiling.
The end of the piston sticks out of a hole in the cylinder and there is a hook on the end.
The pendulum swings from the hook.
That about right?

I've tried. But there's so much approximation I needed to use to derive the final relation, (using energy consideration), I'm no longer satisfied with or sure about my answer. So better I thought if it be run by experts. I found both systems to be oscillating with the same freq. and K=w/l.
Yes, your physical description seems right.

OK. You need a way to be confident in your solution (or to tell if you've made a mistake)?
Does it make sense that the two parts should have the same frequency in this situation?
Hint: resonance

Likes 1 person
Yes! That should be it, the question did say about the 'high amplitude' of the resultant oscillations, so there's a high possibility that the composite system is showing resonance, i.e the driven system may undergo oscillations at the same frequency as that of the driving system. Thanks for the help. It was great relearning resonance in the context of this problem.

When you see coupled oscillators and "big amplitude" think of "resonance" and "normal modes".
Since there is no external driving force, the two oscillators will exchange energy periodically.

FAQ: Are the Spring and Pendulum Systems Oscillating with the Same Frequency?

1. What is a spring-pendulum combined system?

A spring-pendulum combined system is a mechanical system that consists of a spring attached to a mass at one end and a pendulum attached to the other end of the spring. The mass on the spring can oscillate back and forth, while the pendulum can swing in a circular motion. The combined motion of these two components creates a unique and complex system.

2. What are the factors that affect the behavior of a spring-pendulum combined system?

The behavior of a spring-pendulum combined system is affected by several factors, including the mass of the pendulum and the spring, the length of the pendulum, the stiffness of the spring, and the angle at which the pendulum is released. These factors can impact the frequency, amplitude, and period of the system's oscillations.

3. How do you calculate the period of oscillation for a spring-pendulum combined system?

The period of oscillation for a spring-pendulum combined system can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass attached to the spring, and k is the spring constant. This formula assumes that the angle at which the pendulum is released is small (less than 10 degrees).

4. What is the relationship between the spring constant and the frequency of a spring-pendulum combined system?

The spring constant and the frequency of a spring-pendulum combined system have a direct relationship. As the spring constant increases, the frequency of the system also increases. This means that the system will oscillate more frequently and have a shorter period.

5. How does the amplitude of oscillation change in a spring-pendulum combined system?

The amplitude of oscillation in a spring-pendulum combined system will decrease over time due to energy loss through friction and air resistance. This is known as damping. The rate at which the amplitude decreases is determined by the system's damping coefficient, which is affected by factors such as the materials used and the surrounding environment.

Back