Spring pendulum, Kinetic Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the kinetic energy of an object moving in a spring system. The method involves finding the traveled distance, taking the time derivative, and considering the radial component. The total kinetic energy is the sum of energies in both radial and angular directions. The conversation also mentions the potential energy from the gravitational field and the spring.
KEVmathematics
In the included picture, I don't get how they get to the kinetic energy part. I would say, that the traveled distance is equal to (l + x(t))*θ. Then I would take the time derivative, resulting in dx(t)/dt * θ + (l + x(t))* dθ/dt. Then I would square this result and multiply that with 1/2 m. But then I would get a totally different kinetic energy.

Attachments

• foto (2).jpg
    foto (2).jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 593
Physics news on Phys.org
KEVmathematics said:
I would say, that the traveled distance is equal to (l + x(t))*θ
What does that mean? The traveled distance depends on the trajectory. You'll need a position (as vector) to get a meaningful derivative.

You must also consider the radial component. The velocity component in the radial direction is the time derivative of x(t) (since it is a spring, it can compress or expand). Hence the total kinetic energy is the sum of energies in both radial and angular directions.

In polar coordinates, with the polar angle relative to the direction poiinting downwards, you have
$$\vec{x}=r \begin{pmatrix}
\sin \varphi \\ \cos \varphi
\end{pmatrix}.$$
Then, after straight-forward algebra, you have
$$T=\frac{m}{2} \dot{\vec{x}}^2=\frac{m}{2} (\dot{r}^2+r^2 \dot{\varphi}^2).$$
Now in the textbook, they set
$$r=l+x,$$
where ##l## is the length of the relaxed spring.

For the potential energy you have the part from the gravitational field of the Earth and the spring:
$$V=-m g x_2+\frac{k}{2} x^2 = -m g (x+l) \cos \varphi+\frac{k}{2} x^2.$$

What is a spring pendulum?

A spring pendulum is a simple physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring, which is then suspended from a fixed point. When displaced from its equilibrium position, the mass will oscillate back and forth due to the force of the spring.

How does a spring pendulum work?

The spring pendulum works by converting potential energy into kinetic energy and back again. When the mass is pulled down, the spring is stretched and stores potential energy. As the mass is released, it accelerates toward its equilibrium position, converting the potential energy into kinetic energy. The mass then continues to oscillate between potential and kinetic energy until it eventually comes to rest.

What factors affect the kinetic energy of a spring pendulum?

The kinetic energy of a spring pendulum is affected by the mass of the object, the amplitude (or size) of the oscillations, and the velocity of the object. Additionally, the spring constant (a measure of the stiffness of the spring) and the length of the spring also play a role in determining the kinetic energy of the system.

How is kinetic energy calculated in a spring pendulum?

The kinetic energy of a spring pendulum can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity. The velocity can be determined using the equation v = A * w * cos(wt), where A is the amplitude, w is the angular frequency (determined by the length and spring constant of the system), and t is time.

What are some real-world applications of the spring pendulum and kinetic energy?

The spring pendulum and its principles of kinetic energy have many real-world applications, including in clocks, suspension systems for vehicles, and measuring earthquake activity. Additionally, the study of spring pendulums can help scientists better understand the behavior of other oscillating systems in nature, such as atoms and molecules.