Springs and arches suspending a fabric

In summary: Ok, well basically...I'm trying to determine what spring to use to ensure the tarp remains tight, even during snow fall.There are three arches supporting the tarp and all four ends are attached to springs. The north/south ends (20' length side) are attached in an arch shape and the east/west ends (60' length sides) are attached vertically to the base and the tarp.The tarp weights 750 lbs and is 60 ft by 20 ft.There are 20 springs attached to the end plates (north and south) and 60 springs on the base (east and west).Snow can accumulate at a value of 25 lb/ft^2.The equation to solve
Steven2012

Homework Statement

The distance from the spring attachment to the arch in 9 feet.
The distance from the arch to the arch is 20 feet.
There are three arches. So, End plate-spring to arch to arch to arch to spring-end plate.

The tarp weights 750 lbs and is 60 ft by 20 ft.
There are 20 springs attached to the end plates (north and south) and 60 springs on the base (east and west).
Snow can accumulate at a value of 25 lb/ft^2.

What are all the forces and the parameters needed to define the springs (K, X1, and X2).

Homework Equations

F=mg
F=K(X1-X2)

The Attempt at a Solution

F=32.2(750)=24150
Modeling just from the arch to the spring as a single string/rope->
24150/60=402.5 lb/ft
Spring is Ra and arch is Rb, F is mg of tarp
Ra+Rb=F
402.5*9/2=1811.25 = Ra=Rb

So, 1811.25=K(X1-X2)

This just seems bad wrong

I really want to find out what my K value should be and I want the spring to be about 8 inches.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone figure out the relationship between the problem statement and the figure? If not, I'm going to delete this thread.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Can anyone figure out the relationship between the problem statement and the figure? If not, I'm going to delete this thread.

Chet
The image is my attempt to model the problem as a beam (which I now think is a bad idea). The image shows the uniform force, Ra, and Rb.

Steven2012 said:
The image is my attempt to model the problem as a beam (which I now think is a bad idea). The image shows the uniform force, Ra, and Rb.
I still don't understand the problem statement. Maybe it's just me.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
I still don't understand the problem statement. Maybe it's just me.

Chet

Ok, well basically...
I'm trying to determine what spring to use to ensure the tarp remains tight, even during snow fall.

There are three arches supporting the tarp and all four ends are attached to springs. The north/south ends (20' length side) are attached in an arch shape and the east/west ends (60' length sides) are attached vertically to the base and the tarp.

Does that help?

I can draw the design I have right now- if that would help.

A good diagram would be very helpful. I'm still unable to picture it.

Chet

1. What is the purpose of using springs and arches in suspending fabric?

The purpose of using springs and arches in suspending fabric is to provide structural support and distribute the weight of the fabric evenly. This helps to prevent sagging or tearing of the fabric and creates a stable and sturdy structure.

2. How do springs and arches work together to suspend fabric?

Springs and arches work together in a suspension system to distribute the weight of the fabric evenly over a larger surface area. The springs help to absorb and distribute any weight or force placed on the fabric, while the arches provide a stable base for the springs to rest on.

3. What types of materials are commonly used for springs and arches in fabric suspension?

The most commonly used materials for springs and arches in fabric suspension are steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber. These materials are strong, durable, and lightweight, making them ideal for supporting the weight of the fabric.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a fabric suspension system using springs and arches?

When designing a fabric suspension system using springs and arches, factors such as the weight of the fabric, the size and shape of the structure, and the intended use of the fabric should be considered. The type and strength of the materials used for the springs and arches should also be carefully chosen to ensure the proper support and stability of the fabric.

5. Are there any maintenance or safety precautions to take when using springs and arches to suspend fabric?

Yes, regular maintenance and safety precautions should be taken when using springs and arches to suspend fabric. This includes inspecting the structure for any signs of wear or damage, tightening any loose bolts or connections, and ensuring that the fabric is properly secured. It is also important to adhere to weight limits and follow proper safety protocols when using the suspended fabric structure.