Square an inequality if both sides are positive

In summary, the question of whether you can perform an operation on both sides of an inequality is determined by whether the function is increasing or decreasing. The function f(x)=x² is not increasing for negative numbers, but is increasing for positive numbers. On the other hand, f(x)=x³ is increasing everywhere, so you can cube both sides of an inequality whenever you want. When manipulating inequalities, the result may not always be the best possible new inequality. In the given example, (1) and (2) are different because different methods were used, with (2) being more accurate. To get the cubes, you can multiply both sides of 0< x< y by x and y respectively. This results in x^
zorro
I know that we can square an inequality if both sides are positive.
But can we cube an inequality provided both the sides are positive?
If no then why?

Physics news on Phys.org

The question of whether you can perform an operation on both sides of an inequality is one of whether the function is increasing or decreasing. the function f(x)=x2 is not increasing (when x is negative), so will not preserve order.

On the other hand, for just the positive set of numbers, f(x)=x2 is increasing, so f(x)<f(y) if and only if x<y.

The function f(x)=x3 is increasing everywhere, so x3<y3 if and only if x<y This means that you can cube both sides of an inequality whenever you want

Suppose a<c and b<c (all are positive)
and a,b,c are related by the equation a^2 + b^2 =c^2
I proceeded in 2 ways-
1) a^3 < c^3
and b^3 <c^3
i.e. (a^3 + b^3 )/2 < c^3

2) a^3=a.a^2<c.a^2
similarly b.b^2<c.b^2
i.e. a^3 + b^3 < c^3 (a^2 + b^2=c^2)

why are 1 and 2 different?

1 and 2 are different because you did different things. When you manipulate an inequality you aren't guaranteed to get the best possible new inequality; in this case the first one just happens to be worse than the second one.

Notice you didn't use the fact about the sum of a and b squared when doing (1), which means that it's true for any choices of a, b and c, whereas in (2) a, b and c need to satisfy a2+b2=c2

If 0< x< y, then, multiplying both sides by the positive number x, [itex]0< x^2< xy[/itex]. Multiplying 0< x< y by the positive number y, [itex]0< xy< y^2[/itex]. Since "<" is "transitive", [itex]0< x^2< xy< y^2[/itex] so [itex]x^2< y^2[/itex].

Do that again to get cubes.

1. What does it mean to "square" an inequality?

Squaring an inequality refers to raising both sides of the inequality to the power of 2. This is done to simplify the inequality and make it easier to solve.

2. Can I square both sides of an inequality if they are both positive?

Yes, you can square both sides of an inequality if they are both positive. This is because squaring a positive number will always result in a positive number.

3. Does squaring an inequality change the direction of the inequality symbol?

Yes, squaring an inequality will change the direction of the inequality symbol if the number being squared is negative. This is because squaring a negative number will make it positive, thus changing the relationship between the two sides of the inequality.

4. Can I square each term of an inequality separately?

No, you cannot square each term of an inequality separately. When squaring an inequality, you must square both sides of the inequality as a whole.

5. Are there any restrictions when squaring an inequality with both sides being positive?

Yes, when squaring an inequality with both sides being positive, you must ensure that the inequality is still true after squaring. This means that you must consider any potential extraneous solutions that may arise from squaring both sides of the inequality.