Square-integrable functions question

• Thread starter YoungEverest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the author is asking for general rules that apply when modifying square integrable functions, but does not know how to proceed. If the author could provide an example of a function which does not obey these general rules, it would be easier to attempt to prove the rule.
YoungEverest
Note: This is not a homework problem but merely independent study, if it's in the wrong place, please move!

Homework Statement

I want to know how changing a square integrable function changes the result of an integral. So that if a function is square integrable and you multiply it by x, is it still square integrable?

Homework Equations

If [tex]\int[/tex] |f(x)|^2 dx < [tex]\infty[/tex]

then is [tex]\int[/tex] x^2 |f(x)|^2 dx < [tex]\infty[/tex] ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to attempt this, I just have a feeling that it is true as multiplying by x should not change the fact that the area under the curve is contained, and not open at +/- infinity.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about f(x)=1/√(1+x2)?

Ah, I see. Now my task becomes a little trickier. Thanks for the help!

Are there any general rules which apply when modifying square integrable functions? For that would make my task easier.

vela said:
What about f(x)=1/√(1+x2)?

Nice counter example...

YoungEverest said:
Ah, I see. Now my task becomes a little trickier. Thanks for the help!

Are there any general rules which apply when modifying square integrable functions? For that would make my task easier.
You could try and see about an algebra of square integrable functions

square-integrable functions form a hilbert space, so any linear combination of s-i functions will also be s-i. however, when it comes to multiplying these functions, i don't know of any way of determining which products of s-i functions will also be s-i (other than just trying the integral). and since, f(x)=x is not s-i, well, i can say even less.

Last edited:
What about showing the product of square integrable functions is square integrable or looking at function which decay fast enough.

Ah yes Eczeno, you make a good point. I have done a couple of courses on linear algebra so I may go back and look at the conditions for a space and do some more tests. But seeing as a counterexample has been presented I do not see much hope.

Essentially I was trying to apply this to quantum mechanics, and what this shows is that even if the wave function can be normalised, it can still have an undefined standard deviation. What I need to find out is if these functions are actually wave functions, or solutions to Schrodinger's equation. It might just be a pathological case...

Hunt mat, essentially this is what I want to try and prove. But I do not know how!

1. What is a square-integrable function?

A square-integrable function is a type of real-valued function that meets a certain mathematical criteria. Specifically, a square-integrable function must have a finite integral when squared over its entire domain. This means that the area under the curve of the function, when squared, must be a finite value.

2. Why are square-integrable functions important?

Square-integrable functions are important in many areas of mathematics and science, particularly in the study of differential equations, Fourier analysis, and probability theory. These functions have well-defined properties and are used in various mathematical models and applications.

3. How can I determine if a function is square-integrable?

To determine if a function is square-integrable, you can use the Lebesgue integral or the Riemann integral. The Lebesgue integral is often preferred as it is more general and has a wider range of applications. However, both methods involve calculating the area under the curve of the function and determining if it is finite.

4. What is the difference between a square-integrable function and a non-square-integrable function?

The main difference between a square-integrable function and a non-square-integrable function is that the former has a finite integral when squared, while the latter does not. This means that a square-integrable function has a well-defined area under the curve, while the area under the curve of a non-square-integrable function is infinite.

5. Can a function be square-integrable on one interval but not on another?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be square-integrable on one interval but not on another. This depends on the properties of the function and the interval in question. For example, a function may have a finite integral when squared on one interval, but its integral may be infinite on another interval due to the behavior of the function on that interval.