Using a Spreadsheet to determine the Fourier Series

In summary, the conversation discusses using a spreadsheet to determine the F.S. of data given in Fig 6. The method involves using the Fourier Series tool of MS Excel, but the results do not match the expected results. The solution is to fix the input data range, which was mistakenly entered as column A instead of column B.
Gremlin

Homework Statement

Use a spreadsheet to determine the F.S. of the data given in Fig 6

See attached for Fig 6

Homework Equations

N/A - Use the Fourier Series tool of MS Excel. Tools > Data Analysis > Fourier Series. If you don't have the Data Analysis tool loaded you can load it by going Tools > Add-ins > Analysis Tool Pack.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the solution is attached, but my results don't match the results in my course notes. I was wondering if someone could see where I am going wrong.

I open a new excel spreadsheet, enter the data of fig 6 in exactly the same cells.

Then I run the Fourier Analysis tool, my data range is cells A2-A9 and the output range is cell D2.

Attachments

• Fig 6 PDF.pdf
    63.2 KB · Views: 201
  • My Attempt.jpg
    My Attempt.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps it has something to do with the format of your range specifications? Did you enter the ranges manually, or did you use the mouse to select them so they'd be automatically constructed?

I selected them using the mouse, highlighting A2 and dragging down to A9, so that in the 'Input Range' cell on the Fourier analysis tool it reads: $A$2:$A$9

Your data points are in column B, not column A. Fix your input data range.

Likes berkeman
You're correct.

In my defence I followed the example to the letter of the law, and that says "Next we enter the input data range (A2-A9)..."

Thanks.

Gremlin said:
You're correct.

In my defence I followed the example to the letter of the law, and that says "Next we enter the input data range (A2-A9)..."

Thanks.
Ha! Glad it worked out.

This is a great example of why it's always a good idea to relate the original problem statement word-for-word. Sometimes the problem is the problem!

What is a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function in terms of a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is used in many fields of science and engineering to analyze and approximate complex waveforms.

How can a Spreadsheet be used to determine a Fourier Series?

A Spreadsheet can be used to calculate the coefficients of a Fourier Series by inputting the values of the periodic function at specific points. The spreadsheet can then be used to plot the Fourier Series and compare it to the original function.

What are the advantages of using a Spreadsheet for determining a Fourier Series?

Using a Spreadsheet allows for quick and accurate calculations of the Fourier Series coefficients. It also allows for easy visualization and comparison of the Fourier Series and the original function.

What types of periodic functions can be analyzed using a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Series can be used to analyze any function that is periodic, meaning it repeats itself at regular intervals. This includes common functions such as square waves, sawtooth waves, and sinusoidal waves.

Are there any limitations to using a Spreadsheet for determining a Fourier Series?

While a Spreadsheet can accurately calculate the coefficients of a Fourier Series, it may not be able to handle very complex or high frequency functions. In these cases, more advanced mathematical software may be necessary.