1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using a Spreadsheet to determine the Fourier Series

1. Jun 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use a spreadsheet to determine the F.S. of the data given in Fig 6

See attached for Fig 6

2. Relevant equations

N/A - Use the Fourier Series tool of MS Excel. Tools > Data Analysis > Fourier Series. If you don't have the Data Analysis tool loaded you can load it by going Tools > Add-ins > Analysis Tool Pack.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt at the solution is attached, but my results don't match the results in my course notes. I was wondering if someone could see where I am going wrong.

I open a new excel spreadsheet, enter the data of fig 6 in exactly the same cells.

Then I run the Fourier Analysis tool, my data range is cells A2-A9 and the output range is cell D2.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Perhaps it has something to do with the format of your range specifications? Did you enter the ranges manually, or did you use the mouse to select them so they'd be automatically constructed?

4. Jun 12, 2015 #3
    I selected them using the mouse, highlighting A2 and dragging down to A9, so that in the 'Input Range' cell on the Fourier analysis tool it reads: $A$2:$A$9

5. Jun 12, 2015 #4

gneill

Your data points are in column B, not column A. Fix your input data range.

6. Jun 12, 2015 #5
    You're correct.

In my defence I followed the example to the letter of the law, and that says "Next we enter the input data range (A2-A9)..."

Thanks.

7. Jun 12, 2015 #6

gneill

Ha! Glad it worked out.

This is a great example of why it's always a good idea to relate the original problem statement word-for-word. Sometimes the problem is the problem!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted