Squeeze Theorem/Limits Question. Answers don't match up.

• Thread starter fire9132
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Match
In summary: What you have shown is that the limit exists and is zero for x > 0. But you also need to show that the limit exists and is zero for x < 0. In other words, you need to show that $$\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \left| (2^x - 1) \cos\left(\frac{1}{x}\right) \right| = 0$$In summary, using the Squeeze Theorem, it can be shown that the limit of (2^x - 1)cos(1/x) as x approaches 0 is 0, both for x > 0 and x < 0. This is done by showing that the absolute
fire9132

Homework Statement

Evaluate using the Squeeze Theorem.
[itex] \lim_{x\rightarrow0} (2^{x} - 1) cos\frac{1}{x} [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] -1 ≤ cos\frac{1}{x} ≤ 1 \\
1 - 2^{x} ≤ (2^{x} -1)cos\frac{1}{x} ≤ 2^{x} - 1 \\
0 ≤ (2^{x} -1)cos\frac{1}{x} ≤ 0 \\
∴ \lim_{x\rightarrow0} (2^{x} - 1) cos\frac{1}{x} = 0 [/itex]

That's the solution I got and the solution that's in my textbook. But when I checked on wolframalpha, it says the limit does not exist.

Did I do something wrong and is my textbook wrong? or is it something conceptually that I don't understand about this? Is wolframalpha wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
fire9132 said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate using the Squeeze Theorem.
[itex] \lim_{x\rightarrow0} (2^{x} - 1) cos\frac{1}{x} [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

0 ≤ (2^{x} -1)cos\frac{1}{x} ≤ 0 \\
∴ \lim_{x\rightarrow0} (2^{x} - 1) cos\frac{1}{x} = 0 [/itex]

That's the solution I got and the solution that's in my textbook. But when I checked on wolframalpha, it says the limit does not exist.

Did I do something wrong and is my textbook wrong? or is it something conceptually that I don't understand about this? Is wolframalpha wrong?

It's possible that you inadvertently entered something different into wolfram. Your answer is correct.

fire9132 said:
0 ≤ (2^{x} -1)cos\frac{1}{x} ≤ 0 \\[/itex]
You are correct that the limit is zero, but your reasoning has some flaws. The last line is clearly not correct, for it is equivalent to
$$(2^x - 1)\cos\left(\frac{1}{x}\right) = 0$$
which is not true for all ##x##. The previous line is correct, but only if ##2^x - 1 \geq 0##.

It's somewhat easier to work with absolute values:
$$\left|\cos\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)\right| \leq 1$$
Now multiply both sides by ##|2^x - 1|## and see what you can conclude.

fire9132 said:

for x < 0, this statement is false.

What is the Squeeze Theorem?

The Squeeze Theorem is a mathematical theorem used to evaluate limits of functions. It states that if two functions, g(x) and h(x), both approach the same limit as x approaches a certain value, and another function f(x) is always between g(x) and h(x) for all values of x near a, then f(x) must also approach the same limit as x approaches a.

How is the Squeeze Theorem used to evaluate limits?

The Squeeze Theorem is used to evaluate limits by finding two functions that have the same limit as the function in question, and then proving that the function in question is always between those two functions. This allows us to conclude that the function in question must also have the same limit.

What are some common mistakes when using the Squeeze Theorem?

Some common mistakes when using the Squeeze Theorem include not finding two functions with the same limit as the function in question, not proving that the function in question is always between those two functions, and not considering the behavior of the function at the specific point where the limit is being evaluated.

Can the Squeeze Theorem be used to evaluate all limits?

No, the Squeeze Theorem can only be used to evaluate limits in certain cases where the conditions of the theorem are met. It cannot be used to evaluate limits that do not have a specific value or approach infinity.

How can I remember how to use the Squeeze Theorem?

One way to remember how to use the Squeeze Theorem is to practice using it with different functions and limits. You can also create a study guide or cheat sheet that outlines the steps for using the theorem. Additionally, understanding the concept behind the theorem can help you remember how to use it in different situations.