Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SR predictions on an recent microwave experiement

1. Aug 26, 2007 #1
    I quickly read the followoing IEEE paper:

Absence of the Relativistic Transverse Doppler Shift at Microwave Frequencies

The author claims he proved that he invalidated experimentally the SR prediction of a transverse Doppler effect for microwaves.
    Its experimental setup is shown in figure 1.

Basically, an homodyne frequency-shift detection is used.
    It involves a fixed source and a fixed detector.
    The setup involves two paths: a "reference path" and an "active path".
    In the active path, the microwave beam passes trough a rotating emission-reception system.
    Because of the rotation of the beam within the "active path", the author claims a transverse Doppler effect should be observed.
    The author did not detect any shift and concluded this invalidates SR.

I think this paper is totally wrong in its analysis and its conclusion. Experimental results are right but useless.
    The source and the detector have no relative motion and therefore I would not expect ant Doppler shift.
    In addition, if one considers a even simpler version of this experiment, the conclusion of "no Doppler shift expected" is even more obvious to me. This simplified version would be based on a cylindrical cavity in the "active path" whose walls would be rotating. It is clear that rotating walls would make any difference compared with fixed wall: reflexion on perfect conducting walls does not depend on the transverse motion.

I would like to elaborate on my first impression.
    I am interrested by your own ideas and comments on this experiement as well as in the basic theory to analyse such experiments in general.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2007 #2

Ich

Science Advisor

Hi,

I did a quick analysis of this experiment one year ago, showing that SR predicts a null result, as measured. Sorry it's in German; in English: your first impression is right, emitter and source are at rest, that's it. What's happening between: the wavefront is blueshifted and tilted as seen by the rotating disk, and will be re-emitted blueshifted and tilted. No change happens.

I had a rather lengthy discussion with Prof. Thim via e-mail concerning another paper where he thought to show an inconsistency in the Lorentz Transforms. He emerged as a full scale crank, beyond any reasoning. Hard to believe that he was (is?) still teaching students at the University of Linz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?