SR400 photon counter readout in labview

In summary, the conversation discusses using Labview to control a SR400 photon counter. The speaker is able to control the counter with commands, but is having trouble getting continuous counts. Suggestions are given to manually send commands to the instrument using GPIB and to refer to the manufacturer's manual. The speaker later discovers that their initial goal is not possible and decides to learn GPIB.
otg
I'm trying to get the hang of labview and it's going pretty well so far. My plan is to control a SR400 photon counter and I seem to get it to do stuff on my commands even though there's no manual for the drivers. (does anyone have one? :) )

My problem/question:
I can get the counts for each gate with the SR400 driver "Query Counts.vi", but I only get the final counts after a counting period. I'd like to get the counts continuously, as they are shown on the SR400 display (would be nice to know the long time behaviour of the counts).

Suggestions/Tips?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The Labview drivers are just another "layer" on top of the commands sent to the instrument over the GPIB bus (or whatever interface you are using). Hence, if the functionlity you need is not included in the drivers you just have to do it "manually" by sending the relevant commands directly to the instrument using GPIB Read and GPIB write in Labview (and if you want to be fancy SRQ polling, but that is rarely needed).

I've never used a SR400, but the manuals from SR are usually quite good (and are free downloads from their website). Hence, look in the "remote programming" section of the manual.

Thank you for your reply, I found out that it is not possible to do what I first wanted so I simply did it in another way. The drivers also don't seem to be free of problems, but that on the other hand gives me a reason to learn GPIB... :)

1. What is a SR400 photon counter readout?

The SR400 is a type of photon counter used in scientific experiments to detect and measure the number of photons emitted by a sample. It is a highly sensitive device that can detect even single photons.

2. How does the SR400 photon counter readout work?

The SR400 uses a photomultiplier tube (PMT) to amplify the signal from the photons and convert it into an electrical signal. This signal is then processed and displayed on a computer using Labview software.

3. Can the SR400 photon counter readout be used with other instruments?

Yes, the SR400 can be used with a variety of instruments such as microscopes, spectrometers, and fluorometers. It can also be integrated into custom experimental setups.

4. What are the advantages of using Labview for SR400 photon counter readout?

Labview is a powerful and versatile software that allows for easy data acquisition, analysis, and visualization. It also has a user-friendly interface and can be customized to suit specific experimental needs.

5. How accurate is the SR400 photon counter readout in Labview?

The accuracy of the SR400 photon counter readout depends on several factors such as the stability of the light source, the sensitivity of the PMT, and the settings used in Labview. However, in general, it has a high level of precision and can detect even small changes in photon emissions.