Can the Larmor formula explain the stability of electron rotation?

In summary: I don't think that's the right way to go.In summary, the electron is bound to fall on the nucleus because classical mechanics and electromagnetism say that the electron has a negative energy. The ray from the electron to the nucleus is called the $$ \overrightarrow{B} $$ ray. The ray is computed using classical energy and electromagnetism. It is unknown why the ray works in this problem.
MickaelPC
Hi everyone,

I know that classical mechanics and electromagnetism show that the electron is bound to fall on the nucleus.
I want to estimate the duration of the phenomenon.

I found the classical energy : E=-K/r and I'm able to compute the raying loss thanks to electromagnetism.
But I am still not able to conclude.

Where can I find a paper or a site that explain it ?

Excuse my mistakes I am French.

Thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Hi Greg,

My question didn't got answers by the time but now it's not very important, it was just a small question I asked myself whil learning quantum mechanics. In fact the real problem I wasn't able to solve is to compute the $$ \overrightarrow{B} $$ ray from an electron rotating around the nucleus. If you have answers to that thank you for sharing.

Hmmm. You may want to ask that question in the Quantum Physics forum.

MickaelPC said:
Hi Greg,

My question didn't got answers by the time but now it's not very important, it was just a small question I asked myself whil learning quantum mechanics. In fact the real problem I wasn't able to solve is to compute the $$ \overrightarrow{B} $$ ray from an electron rotating around the nucleus. If you have answers to that thank you for sharing.

www.physics.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/orbitdecay.pdf is an OK summary.

Use the Larmor formula, and calculate the acceleration.

Hi everyone and thank you for your answers. I already found myself a solution to this probleme using the Larmor formula and the real problem is the Larmor formula, I know how to etablish it but I don't understand why it works in the problem of an electron rotating.

What is the definition of stability of matter?

The stability of matter refers to the ability of a substance or system to maintain its structure and properties over time, without undergoing significant changes or breaking down into smaller components.

How is the stability of matter determined in scientific research?

The stability of matter is determined through various experiments and observations, such as measuring the half-life of radioactive elements, studying the bonding and structure of molecules, and analyzing the thermodynamic properties of a substance.

What factors can affect the stability of matter?

The stability of matter can be affected by a variety of factors, including temperature, pressure, chemical reactions, and external forces such as radiation or collisions with other particles.

Why is the stability of matter important in various fields of science?

The stability of matter is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of substances, and it is essential for developing new materials and technologies in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering.

Can the stability of matter be altered or manipulated?

Yes, the stability of matter can be altered or manipulated through various processes, such as changing the conditions under which it exists, applying external forces, or introducing new substances that can affect its structure and properties.