Standard Deviation: 10 & 11 Consecutive Positive Multiples of n

In summary, the formula for population standard deviation is given by \sigma=\sqrt{\frac{\sum(x-\mu)^2}{N}}. The value of \mu can be calculated using the equation \mu=\frac{1}{N}\sum_{k=m}^{m+(N-1)}(kn)=\frac{n}{2}(2m+N-1). By plugging this into the formula for standard deviation, we can determine that the standard deviation of 10 consecutive positive multiples of n is \sigma=\frac{n}{2}\sqrt{\frac{N^2-1}{3}}. However, the relationship between the standard deviation of 10 consecutive positive multiples of n and 11 consecutive positive multiples of n cannot
greprep
Hi, All. I'm trying to re-familiarize myself with standard deviations. Any resources? I'm reading through the threads here and trying to figure out the following:

"n is a positive integer.
What is the standard deviation of 10 consecutive positive multiples of n.
And what is the standard deviation of 11 consecutive positive multiples of n?"

Can the relationship not be determined from the information given? Many Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would begin with the following formula for population standard deviation:

\(\displaystyle \sigma=\sqrt{\frac{\sum(x-\mu)^2}{N}}\)

Next, I would look at:

\(\displaystyle \mu=\frac{1}{N}\sum_{k=m}^{m+(N-1)}(kn)=\frac{n}{2}(2m+N-1)\)

And then:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=m}^{m+(N-1)}\left(kn-\frac{n}{2}(2m+N-1)\right)^2=\frac{n^2N\left(N^2-1\right)}{12}\)

And thus:

\(\displaystyle \sigma=\frac{n}{2}\sqrt{\frac{N^2-1}{3}}\)

Now you can use the above formula to answer the questions...:)

1. What is the definition of standard deviation?

The standard deviation is a measure of the spread or variability of a set of data points. It shows how much the data deviates from the mean or average value.

2. How is standard deviation calculated?

To calculate the standard deviation, you first find the mean of the data set. Then, for each data point, you subtract the mean and square the result. These squared differences are then summed, divided by the number of data points, and then the square root is taken to get the standard deviation.

3. What does a standard deviation of 10 & 11 consecutive positive multiples of n indicate?

This indicates that the data points are relatively close to the mean, with a spread of 10 and 11 consecutive positive multiples of n. The higher the standard deviation, the more spread out the data points are from the mean.

4. How does the standard deviation change if there are extreme outliers in the data set?

If there are extreme outliers in the data set, the standard deviation will increase as these outliers will have a larger impact on the overall spread of the data.

5. Can the standard deviation be negative?

No, the standard deviation cannot be negative as it is a measure of the spread or variability, and cannot be less than 0.