Standard Deviation for Sampling Distribution

In summary: I'm sorry, I cannot continue with this conversation as it is becoming more and more confusing and there seems to be no clear goal or question. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the standard deviation of a sampling distribution and the population variance, but there is confusion about the number of samples and the population size. The conversation ends without a clear resolution.
DorumonSg
Okay... this is a really simple question but I am pratically going nuts over it I can't sleep, I've been looking at it for like 12 hours, googling and wiking over it I am going crazy...

Okie...

Suppose I have 4 numbers, 0, 2, 4 and 6 and I grab 2 random ones with replacement... so I have

0 2
0 4
0 6
2 4
2 6
4 6
0 0
2 2
4 4
6 6

Okie 10 possible samples. I want to find the standard deviation of the sampling distribution X... but I am having trouble getting the population variance...

I tried this... 1/20 (Sum of xi square - Sum of xi square/2)

20 becoz' there is 20 numbers, 2 becoz for each set there 2. So I been getting 2...

I also tried this... 1/2 (Sum of xi square - Sum of xi square/2) and got 20...

I have the answer for the Sampling Distribution with is 1.581, so working backwards... 1.581square divide by 1/(2^2) I get 10... which means the population variance is 10...

I am going nuts, can anyone help? I really need to sleep now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DorumonSg said:
Okay... this is a really simple question but I am pratically going nuts over it I can't sleep, I've been looking at it for like 12 hours, googling and wiking over it I am going crazy...

Suppose I have 4 numbers, 0, 2, 4 and 6 and I grab 2 random ones without replacement...
I am going nuts, can anyone help? I really need to sleep now.

You need to define the problem better. There are n!/(n-r)!r! ways to choose r things out of n things without repetitions and without regard to order, so for choosing random pairs from the set {0,2,4,6} there are 24/4=6 ways.

If you are choosing from all possible ordered pairs (a,b) from the set {0,2,4,6}, there are 16 such pairs.

Assuming this is what you want and a uniform discrete PD, the probability of any pair is 1/16. The variance of the discrete uniform distribution is (n^2-1)/12 although this is not used very much since it's not a function of sampling variation with fixed n.

Is there any reason why this probability distribution would not be uniform?

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
You need to define the problem better. There are n!/(n-r)!r! ways to choose r things out of n things without repetitions and without regard to order, so for choosing random pairs from the set {0,2,4,6} there are 24/4=6 ways.

If you are choosing from all possible ordered pairs (a,b) from the set {0,2,4,6}, there are 16 such pairs.

Assuming this is what you want and a uniform discrete PD, the probability of any pair is 1/16. The variance of the discrete uniform distribution is (n^2-1)/12 although this is not used very much since it's not a function of sampling variation with fixed n.

Is there any reason why this probability distribution would not be uniform?

Oops, my bad I meant with replacement, so why would there be 16 pairs? Could u list them out? Order of number does not matter... I think... and why is it a uniform discrete PD? and why does probability come into place?

Oh I think I just found the answer, but I would like to clarify stuff. I think I got the formulas messed up.

Here's what I did I took the Population Variance : 1/20 (Sum of (xi^2...+ zi^2) - Sum of (xi... + zi)^2/20). Basically, I took 20 because there are a total of 20 numbers in the 10 sets of 2. And I know the entire population so I did not use n-1. Which gives me 5.

So for Sampling Distribution Variance is Population Variance/n, so n is 2 as each sample consist of 2 numbers. so 5/2 is the variance.

I probably got confused because I didn't know what number is n... so I would like to clarify am I right to say :

1) Sampling Distribution Variance is Population Variance/n where n = the sample size(The number of variables in 1 set of sample regardless how many samples you have.) For example, you have 3 samples, Sample 1 {A, B}, Sample 2 {B, C}, Sample 3 {C, D}. the sample size is 2 even though you have 3 sets and a total of 6 variables.

2) As for the population variance n is the total number of variables you have regardless of Sample Size. For example, for Sample 1 {A, B}, Sample 2 {B, C}, Sample 3 {C, D}, n would be 6 as there is 6 variables, even though we have only 3 sets.

3) Which means to the n for Population Variance and the Variance of Sampling Distribution is a different n? I got confused because the formula I have had the 2 n in the same formula and I though they have to be the same.

Once this is clarify, I can move on. :) Am I right?

Last edited:
DorumonSg said:
Oops, my bad I meant with replacement, so why would there be 16 pairs? Could u list them out? Order of number does not matter... I think... and why is it a uniform discrete PD? and why does probability come into place?...

Once this is clarify, I can move on. :) Am I right?

I frankly don't understand what you're talking about. Where are you getting your numbers? If you are working from the set {0,2,4,6} there are:

6 ways to choose pairs without duplication or specifying order.

16 ways to choose pairs you allow duplication (0,0) and specify all ordered pairs (0,2),(2,0)...

If you don't allow duplicates but specify ordered pairs, there are 12 ways.

So you can have 6, 12 or 16 possibilities. One of these is your population n. Your sample n(s) is 2. You can't calculate a sample variance for a sample of n(s)=2. If you don't follow what I'm saying, I'll let someone else respond.

Yes, you can also have 6 unordered pairs plus 4 duplicates, as you have, but the same question remains. What are trying to do? What distribution are you talking about? Your population is a population of pairs. How do you define the parameters of a population including unordered pairs? You can do this if you have a vector space of ordered pairs (or any tuples). Your sample space is {0,2,4,6}. Is each number equally likely to be chosen? If so, you have a uniform distribution. Are these numbers being treated as additive quantities or simply as objects like cards? If they are additive and you have a uniform distribution, you must calculate your sample space parameters based on a uniform distribution. (Look up discrete uniform distribution).

EDIT: Since your sample space consists only of specific even numbers and zero, it seems you must consider the numbers as objects since the probability of odd numbers is zero. I don't know how this distribution lends itself to the usual calculation of statistical moments under a uniform distribution(UD). For example the mean of (0,2,4,6) under a UD is b-a/2. If a=0 and b=6 then the mean is 3. But 3 has probability zero, so one could argue that this statistic doesn't apply if the sample space is a set. On the other hand the mean of four numbers (-3,-2,2,3) is zero even though 0 is not among the numbers. This is because the calculation assumes the set of all integers (actually all rational numbers generally). However, if you define your sample space as a set {0,2,4,6}, you must assume that the numbers are objects, not additive quantities since additive quantities are only defined in terms of number systems where the existence of all numbers in that system is assumed.

Last edited:

What is Standard Deviation for Sampling Distribution?

Standard Deviation for Sampling Distribution is a measure of how spread out the values of a sample are from the mean of the sample. It is used to understand the variability or dispersion of the data points in a sample.

Why is Standard Deviation for Sampling Distribution important?

Standard Deviation for Sampling Distribution is important because it helps us understand the degree of uncertainty or variability in a sample. It can also be used to make predictions about the population from which the sample was drawn.

How is Standard Deviation for Sampling Distribution calculated?

To calculate Standard Deviation for Sampling Distribution, you first need to find the mean of the sample. Then, for each data point, you subtract the mean from the data point and square the result. Next, you add all the squared differences and divide by the total number of data points. Lastly, take the square root of this value to get the Standard Deviation for Sampling Distribution.

What does a high or low Standard Deviation for Sampling Distribution indicate?

A high Standard Deviation for Sampling Distribution indicates that the data points in the sample are spread out over a wider range, while a low Standard Deviation for Sampling Distribution indicates that the data points are closer to the mean. In other words, a high Standard Deviation indicates more variability in the sample, while a low Standard Deviation indicates less variability.

How does Sample Size affect Standard Deviation for Sampling Distribution?

Sample Size can affect Standard Deviation for Sampling Distribution in two ways. First, as the Sample Size increases, the Standard Deviation for Sampling Distribution decreases, meaning there is less variability in the sample. Second, a larger Sample Size allows for a more accurate estimation of the population's Standard Deviation.