1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Standard deviation of V_x of He gas

1. Dec 26, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

## \frac 1 2 m<v_x^2> =\frac 1 2 k_BT ,

\\ \sqrt{ <v_x^2>} = 556~ m/s ## So, I guess that the standard deviation should be less than rms speed.

So, the option is (a)

## \left< ax + b \right> = a\left<x\right> + b ##

So, ## \left< v_x^2 - <v_x^2> \right> = \left< v_x^2\right> - \left< v_x^2\right> = 0 ##

Is this correct?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think it your last statement, you are attempting to write ## \sigma^2=E(X^2)-(EX)^2 ##. If that is the case, and you are saying ## EX=0 ## , yes, it is correct. Please put in the mass and temperature so that we can check your arithmetic. For the final answer, the standard deviation, ## \sigma_{v_x}=\sqrt{E(v_x)^2}=v_{x \, rms} ##. Also, the statement of the problem is incomplete. The available answers did not show up.

4. Dec 26, 2017 #3
    The question is not showing in the OP. So, posting it again.
    upload_2017-12-26_22-4-13.png
    I didn't understand what you mean by the above line. Please explain the symbol EX and so on.

5. Dec 26, 2017 #4

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In probability theory, the ## E ## means expectancy. ## EX ## is the same thing as ## <X> ##.

6. Dec 26, 2017 #5
    In the above statement, as ## < v_x ^2> ## is constant, I am taking it out of ## \left< v_x^2 - <v_x^2> \right>## and hence I got ## \left< v_x^2 - <v_x^2> \right> = \left< v_x^2\right> - \left< v_x^2\right> = 0 ##.
    But, this way I will always get 0 standard deviation. So, something is wrong with it. Right?

7. Dec 26, 2017 #6

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equation correctly reads ## \sigma^2_{v_x}=<v_x^2>-<v_x>^2 ##. ## \\ ## Editing: This comes from ## \sigma^2_{v_x}=<(v_x-<v_x>)^2> ##. And I think your arithmetic in the OP is incorrect.

8. Dec 26, 2017 #7
    ## \sqrt{ <v_x^2>} = \sqrt{ \frac { k_BT = 4.14 * 10^{-21}}{m=4* m_p = 6.69 * 10^{-27}}}= 786~ m/s ##

Is this correct?

9. Dec 26, 2017 #8

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Very good. Round that off and (d) becomes the correct answer. See also my edited additions to post 6.

10. Dec 26, 2017 #9
    I reloaded the page three times. Still, no edition to post #6 is shown.
    What I get in post # 6 is:

11. Dec 26, 2017 #10

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I didn't use the word "edit". Let me put it in there for clarity. After I wrote the original post, I came back a couple of minutes later and added the last two sentences.

12. Dec 26, 2017 #11
    Thanks.

13. Dec 26, 2017 #12
    Now I understood.

## \sigma_{v_x} = \sqrt{ \left< (v_x - \left <v_x \right >)^2 \right> = \left < v_x^2 \right > – 2 \left < v_x \right >^2 + \left < v_x \right >^2 = \left < v_x^2 \right > – \left < v_x \right >^2 }##

Since , ## \left < v_x \right > = 0 ##

## \sigma_{v_x} = v_{rms} ##

14. Dec 26, 2017 #13

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Very good. :) (You need a parenthesis { } around v_x in the subscript of ## \sigma_{v_x} ##. Then your Latex will work.)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted