1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special relativity where am I going wrong?

1. Apr 20, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spaceship moves away from earth at 0.9c and fires a probe in the same direction as its motion at 0.7c. What is the probe's velocity relative to Earth?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The Lorentz velocity transformation is ##v_x' = \frac{v_x - u}{1-\frac{uv}{c^2}}##, and since in this case we want to find ##v_x## this can be rearranged to get
    ##v_x = v_x' \left(1-\frac{uv_x}{c^2}\right) + u##
    So then if I substitute in numbers, I use ##v_x' = 0.7c## and ##u=0.9c##, which gives me an answer greater than the speed of light, so that's wrong.

This is a worked example in a textbook and they've also used ##v_x'=0.7c## and ##u=0.9c## so I have no idea why that isn't working. They're using a different form of the equation, all one fraction and plus on the denominator, not ##-\frac{uv_x}{c^2}##. But then shouldn't rearranging the way I have work as well?

The actual answer should be 0.982c. Where am I going wrong??? Did I rearrange wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2017 #2
    Yes I did rearrange wrong. Missed the fact that the thing in the brackets isn't ##v_x'## so I haven't actually made ##v_x## the subject. Stupid mistake, sorry. It took me typing it up to spot that!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted