Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standing upon the shoulders of Giants.

1. Aug 24, 2004 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is a different one for the debunking forum. We often see the quote in the title of this thread, attributed to Newton, used as some form of recognition to previous work.

Today I was in Borders and picked a copy of Schroedinger's Kittens and the Search for Reality: Solving the Quantum Mysteries By John Gribbin.

I found this:
    So could this oft used quote have actually been a put down of Robert Hooke? The letter mentioned was Newtons first paper in Physics.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2004 #2

Staff: Mentor

Heh, I have that book (good book) and didn't remember that part. Ironic if true, but it doesn't change the meaning (besides, it wouldn't sound anywhere near as cool if he had said "...standing on the shoulders of midgets".
  4. Aug 25, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, I think Newton was quoting and old saying. There was an article by Gould (can't think of which one at the moment...) in which he cites a book full of pre-Newtonian references to that saying. I'll see if I can track down the reference.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?