Standing upon the shoulders of Giants.

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a quote often attributed to Isaac Newton, which states "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." The conversation notes that this quote may have actually been a put down towards Robert Hooke, and that it was mentioned in Newton's first paper in Physics. It is also mentioned that this quote may have been a reference to a pre-Newtonian saying.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Here is a different one for the debunking forum. We often see the quote in the title of this thread, attributed to Newton, used as some form of recognition to previous work.

Today I was in Borders and picked a copy of Schroedinger's Kittens and the Search for Reality: Solving the Quantum Mysteries By John Gribbin.

I found this:
Robert Hooke, who had been born in 1635 and was to live until 1703, was at the time Curator of Experiments at the Royal Society. He was an established figure in the scientific world, had his own ideas about light and colour (his own wave theory of light, less complete than Huygens's, was published in 1665), and was always eager to claim priority for any of his work. He responded to Newton's letter in patronizing terms, dismissing the notion that light could be made of corpuscles and failing to appreciate that the theory of colours did not,in fact, depend upon the corpuscular hypothesis. In acrimonious exchanges, Hooke implied that what was original in Newton's theory was wrong, and that what was right in Newton's theory was not original. The resulting row had two effects. First, it led to Newton retreating from the world of science at large and keeping himself to himself in Cambridge, refusing to publish anything much at all for years (and hugging his complete theory of optics to himself until Hooke died, when he could publish it in full and be sure of having the last word). Secondly, it led to Newton's famous remark 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants' - a cutting reference to the fact that Hooke was small of stature, and implying that he was small in intellect as well.!

So could this oft used quote have actually been a put down of Robert Hooke? The letter mentioned was Newtons first paper in Physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Heh, I have that book (good book) and didn't remember that part. Ironic if true, but it doesn't change the meaning (besides, it wouldn't sound anywhere near as cool if he had said "...standing on the shoulders of midgets".

Actually, I think Newton was quoting and old saying. There was an article by Gould (can't think of which one at the moment...) in which he cites a book full of pre-Newtonian references to that saying. I'll see if I can track down the reference.

What does "Standing upon the shoulders of Giants" mean?

"Standing upon the shoulders of Giants" is a metaphor that refers to building upon the work and achievements of those who came before us. It acknowledges that our knowledge and progress is based on the foundations laid by those who came before us.

Who originally said "Standing upon the shoulders of Giants"?

The phrase is often attributed to Sir Isaac Newton, who wrote in a letter to his colleague Robert Hooke in 1676, "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." However, the concept has been expressed by other philosophers and scientists throughout history.

How does "Standing upon the shoulders of Giants" apply to scientific research?

In scientific research, "Standing upon the shoulders of Giants" emphasizes the importance of building upon existing knowledge and discoveries in order to make new advancements. Scientists often refer to previous studies and experiments in their own work and use them as a starting point for further investigation.

What are some examples of "Standing upon the shoulders of Giants" in scientific breakthroughs?

Many scientific breakthroughs have been made by building upon the work of previous scientists. For example, Albert Einstein's theory of relativity was built upon the work of Isaac Newton and other physicists before him. The discovery of the structure of DNA by Watson and Crick was made possible by the research of many scientists before them, including Rosalind Franklin.

How can "Standing upon the shoulders of Giants" benefit society as a whole?

By acknowledging and building upon the work of those who came before us, we can make more efficient and effective progress in our scientific endeavors. This can lead to new technologies, treatments, and solutions that can benefit society as a whole. Additionally, recognizing and honoring the contributions of past scientists can inspire future generations to continue pushing the boundaries of knowledge and innovation.