Exploring the Oregon Star Party: A Night of Fascinating Views

• Thread starter OmCheeto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Star
In summary, Ben Canales attended the Oregon Star Party and found it to be an amazing experience. The event featured daytime talks and nighttime telescope viewing, with friendly and knowledgeable people. Ben was particularly impressed by the large telescope and their openness to sharing knowledge. He also mentions that he will be sharing more pictures from the event.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
Don't come over to GA very often, but when I do, it's regarding something I saw on Facebook...
Ben Canales
Follow · 2 hours ago

I have found my people. And they are nerds.

The Oregon Star Party was awesome! (http://www.oregonstarparty.org/) If you love stars and live in the PNW, put it on your calendar for next year. There were fascinating talks during the day and telescopes EVERYWHERE setup at night.

Super friendly people and very open to sharing their telescope views and knowledge of the night sky. I loved that everyone was eager to share their knowledge and expertise, but it was never demeaning or "Oh... you don't know about that?..." kind of thing.

This is the biggest scope that was out there. It was awesome. I got to peek through the eyepiece. It was amazing. ..am I gushing enough yet? *laughing*

Lots more pics to come.
Cheers and clear skies, ya'll.

Hopefully, this hasn't been posted already... :blushing:

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
that's a pretty good "light bucket"
the owner definitely suffers from aperture fever :wink:

Dave

1. What is the Oregon Star Party?

The Oregon Star Party is an annual gathering of amateur and professional astronomers held at Indian Trail Spring in the Ochoco Mountains of Oregon. It is a week-long event dedicated to exploring the night sky and sharing knowledge and experiences with fellow stargazers.

2. When is the Oregon Star Party held?

The Oregon Star Party is typically held in late July or early August, with the specific dates varying each year. The event usually falls on or around the week of the new moon, when the sky is darkest and ideal for stargazing.

3. What can I expect to see at the Oregon Star Party?

At the Oregon Star Party, you can expect to see a wide variety of celestial objects, including planets, nebulae, star clusters, and galaxies. The event also features special viewings of rare or notable astronomical events, such as meteor showers or eclipses.

4. Do I need to be an experienced astronomer to attend the Oregon Star Party?

No, the Oregon Star Party welcomes stargazers of all levels of experience. Whether you are a seasoned astronomer or just starting out, there will be plenty of opportunities to learn and explore the night sky.

5. How can I participate in the Oregon Star Party?

To participate in the Oregon Star Party, you can register online or at the event. Registration fees cover access to camping facilities, lectures and workshops, and use of telescopes and other equipment. You can also volunteer to help with various tasks and activities during the event.