Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Star Trek: Into Darkness trailer and thoughts

1. May 8, 2013 #1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAEkuVgt6Aw

I saw this trailer on ultra screen in 3d and I was captivated. No doubt a very well made trailer, but still I'm pretty stoked for the movie! Even if it just reaches the success of the first, it's been a nice series reboot.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I did not like the first movie and probably will not even go see this one. I don't think it can be considered a "reboot" in any sense when they have changed the basic story so much.

4. May 8, 2013 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I liked the first one.

As long as they maintain the same relationship between the characters, a new series of movies with new actors is great. It's really no different than making new James Bond movies even though you don't have the same actor playing James Bond in each movie.

5. May 8, 2013 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I thought the first one was outstanding and I'm looking forward to the next one.

6. May 8, 2013 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I also enjoyed the first, was great to see a background of the characters and how they came together

havent seen the new one yet ... maybe this weekend :)

Dave

7. May 8, 2013 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Erhm, doesn't appeal to me. I guess I'm too old and remember the original too well.

8. May 8, 2013 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LOL Evo naaa you cant be older than me ;)
    But on the other hand I have been a die-hard trek fan "since Adam was a boy"

Dave

9. May 9, 2013 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Same here. In fact, I'm the same age as Adam.

(I presume you must be talking about Adam Nimoy, Leonard Nimoy's son.)

10. May 9, 2013 #9
    To sum up my feelings, I am compelled to watch anything Startrek (Except DS9, though I'm trying).

But as far as this latest incarnation, the magic is really gone. So I'll see it and enjoy it on some level.

11. May 9, 2013 #10

Ibix

Science Advisor

I enjoyed the last one until I started thinking about it. Then it made less and less sense. I think I'll give this one a miss...

12. May 9, 2013 #11
    Has anyone seen the "honest trailer" for the previous movie?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTfBH-XFdSc

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  13. May 9, 2013 #12

FlexGunship

Gold Member

At 0:35 in the trailer you can see that they're reusing the Dr. Strangelove set!

"You can't let him in here... he'll see the big board!"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRob6mOqLCH3Mi4ufzl8tp4_6gcqk77EJOqCy2EdxD80w5V8bEKAw.jpg

14. May 9, 2013 #13
    I just watched the trailer. It looks bad. Real bad. Still have to see it though.

15. May 10, 2013 #14

FlexGunship

Gold Member

...Benedict Cumberbatch...

...as freakin' Khan...

If the movie consisted of 50% Carly Rae Jepson singing "Call Me Maybe" and 50% Star Trek with Cumberbatch as Khan I would still watch it.

16. May 10, 2013 #15

Borg

Gold Member

I didn't like that Vulcan was destroyed in the first one. Vulcan was the embodiment of many of the good things in the Star Trek universe. As far as I'm concerned, the first movie took a giant dump on the entire franchise.

17. May 10, 2013 #16

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

My objection is that it wasn't the "background of the characters". We were told it was an "alternate reality". Certainly it wouldn't have made sense to have all of these characters, from Captain Kirk, down to Ensign Sulu, to be the same age and attending the Academy at the same time.

18. May 10, 2013 #17

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I saw it today. (The movie, not the trailer). I thought it was OK, but not much better than that. The lens flares are smaller in size, but there are still lots of them. They irritated me in the first few minutes, where they didn't appear to know what a volcano is, or what fusion is. I didn't like all the high speed motion through narrow passages. Cumberbatch was great though.

19. May 10, 2013 #18

Ibix

Science Advisor

Also, Enterprise warped away from Vulcan for a while before they dumped Kirk... on a planet where Spock was able to watch the destruction of Vulcan with his unaided eye. A snowbound planet inhabited by bright red predators.

Musn't get myself started on this...

20. May 11, 2013 #19
    yes but...it's star trek!

21. May 11, 2013 #20

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That means that the writers has to make the story inconsistent with relativity. It doesn't mean that they have to make it inconsistent with the most basic things in biology and geology.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook