Stars in the same constellation

• Thread starter lifeonmercury
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary: UMa] are very nearly the exact same distance from earth; Alioth, Mezak, Mizar and Phedca all between 77- 80 light years. The same is true for Rasalhague and Sabik in Ophiuchus at 46-48 light years. And 2 of the 10 brightest stars in the night sky, Sirius and Procyon, are among our nearest neighbors at 8.6 and 11 light years, although technically in adjacent constellations.Four of the brightest stars in the big dipper are very nearly the same distance from Earth. There are two stars in Ursa Major that are close to each other (10 light
lifeonmercury
Do any of the constellations have two or more stars in them that happen to actually be close to each other (10 light years or less)? This excludes binary star systems of course.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yes, definitely. Many stars are associated in clusters of various sizes. For example, the head of the bull in the constellation Taurus is mainly made up of stars in the Hyades cluster, which has many stars in about a 10 light-year radius. The Pleiades cluster has ~1000 stars in a radius of about 8 light-years.

phyzguy said:
For example, the head of the bull in the constellation Taurus is mainly made up of stars in the Hyades cluster,

That is the only one I'm aware of

phyzguy said:
The Pleiades cluster has ~1000 stars in a radius of about 8 light-years.

doesn't count ... it isn't a constellation
lifeonmercury said:
Do any of the constellations have two or more stars in them that happen to actually be close to each other (10 light years or less)? This excludes binary star systems of course.
so in general, the answer is noDave

Not to nitpick, but the OP said, "Do any of the constellations have two or more stars in them..." Are you saying the Pleiades is not in a constellation? Every point on the sky is in some constellation.

There are other examples. Most of the stars in Ursa Major are part of the Ursa Major moving group, a nearby cluster where many of the members are within 10 light-years of each other. For example ε Ursa Majoris and δ Ursa Majoris are only about 8 light-years apart. I'm sure I could find other examples.

Clearly the answer to the OP's question is yes, not no.

phyzguy said:
Are you saying the Pleiades is not in a constellation? Every point on the sky is in some constellation.

No, I didn't say that

The Pleiades is a star cluster ... NOT a constellation

it's within the boundary of the Taurus constellation. And that goes for every other star cluster and other object in the sky
a random one ... M44 cluster in Cancer is in that constellation but it's stars are not PART of the actual constellation as originally described

I have seen argument that the Pleiades may be actually be a part of the actual constellation of Taurus ... I can accept that :smile:
It would be the only constellation that has, not one, but two, open clusters whose stars and actually part of the constellation makeup

upload_2017-1-20_13-17-14.png
phyzguy said:
Every point on the sky is in some constellation.

more correctly, Every star in the sky is within the boundary of a given constellation

But don't forget that when the constellations were named was long before telescopes and other optical aides.
So for the casual observer back then and now, it was the brighter stars that made up the constellation outlinesD

Sorry, I suppose I should have been more clear. I was referring the the major stars visible to the naked eye which are part of the shapes of the 88 modern constellations.

Likes davenn
lifeonmercury said:
Sorry, I suppose I should have been more clear. I was referring the the major stars visible to the naked eye which are part of the shapes of the 88 modern constellations.

no problems ... that's the way I understood your question :smile:

was your question answered or do you need more info ?Dave

I believe it's been answered, thanks. Except for two stars in the constellation of Taurus, there are none.

lifeonmercury said:
Except for two stars in the constellation of Taurus, there are none.

Who said that? I challenge you to find that in this thread anywhere.

davenn said:
it's within the boundary of the Taurus constellation.

That drawing looks more like Taurus the Bunny than Taurus the Bull. Where did you find it?

Likes davenn
Vanadium 50 said:
That drawing looks more like Taurus the Bunny than Taurus the Bull. Where did you find it?

hahaha it's the skylore art that's in the Stellarium astro program

ohhh and upside down as it's my view from the southern hemisphereD

lifeonmercury said:
I believe it's been answered, thanks. Except for two stars in the constellation of Taurus, there are none.

How did you conclude that? What about the two I pointed out in Ursa Major? This was after about 5 minutes of searching. You've looked through all 88 constellations and confirmed there are no more?

While the angular spread is a bit wide, four of the brightest stars in the big dipper [UMa] are very nearly the exact same distance from earth; Alioth, Mezak, Mizar and Phedca all between 77- 80 light years. The same is true for Rasalhague and Sabik in Ophiuchus at 46-48 light years. And 2 of the 10 brightest stars in the night sky, Sirius and Procyon, are among our nearest neighbors at 8.6 and 11 light years, although technically in adjacent constellations.

Last edited:
The average constellation extends about 12 degrees from its center point. That means any pair of stars closer than 10 light years away and more than about 50 light years out has a good chance of ending up in the same constellation.

Chronos said:
While the angular spread is a bit wide, four of the brightest stars in the big dipper [UMa] are very nearly the exact same distance from earth; Alioth, Mezak, Mizar and Phedca all between 77- 80 light years. The same is true for Rasalhague and Sabik in Ophiuchus at 46-48 light years. And 2 of the 10 brightest stars in the night sky, Sirius and Procyon, are among our nearest neighbors at 8.6 and 11 light years, although technically in adjacent constellations.

you do understand he is talking about distance from each other ... not common distance from Earth ?

Yes. Two stars that are 10 light years from each other AND at least 50 light years from Earth will have a good chance of being in the same constellation. That's just geometry.

Yes, I realize that and already acknowledged the angular separation of the stars I listed puts them at a distance from each other that likely exceeds 10 light years. That does not change the fact they are within 10 light yeas of the same distance from earth. The stars in UMa mentioned belong to a cluster known as the UMa moving group and are no more than 30 light years distant from their nearest neighbor in that group.

Related to Stars in the same constellation

1. What is a constellation?

A constellation is a group of stars that appear to form a recognizable pattern in the night sky. They have been named and depicted by humans for thousands of years.

2. How are stars in the same constellation related to each other?

Stars in the same constellation are not physically connected or related to each other. They simply appear close to each other in the night sky from our perspective on Earth.

3. Can stars in the same constellation be different distances from Earth?

Yes, stars in the same constellation can be at vastly different distances from Earth. Some may be relatively close while others may be thousands of light years away.

4. Do stars in the same constellation have the same brightness?

No, stars in the same constellation can have varying levels of brightness. Some may appear brighter or dimmer due to their distance from Earth, size, and temperature.

5. Are all stars in the same constellation visible from Earth?

No, not all stars in the same constellation are visible from Earth. Some may be too far away or too dim to be seen with the naked eye, while others may be obscured by clouds or light pollution.