Stars we see are actually their past?

• Thread starter Esas Shakeel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary, the sun and stars are seen in the past, and the universe is less than 15 billion years old.
Esas Shakeel
One questions that I am really confused with!
If the sun is 8 light minutes away, this means that whenever we see the Sun, we are actually looking at how the Sun looked like 8 minutes ago if I am not wrong.
If we look at a star that is let's say 15 billion light years away from the earth, is it even possible for us to say that the star we see could have died because all we are seeing is the past? (how it looked like 15 billion years ago?)
Im sorry if you think its a stupid question but I am curious about it

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's a perfectly reasonable question and one that I think comes to all of us when we first start finding out about this stuff. Yep, we're seeing them in the past and for all we know they are "now" long dead and gone. I put "now" in quotes because "now" for something 15 billion light years away is a non-trivial topic.

And by the way, the universe is less that 15 billion years old, so your number is a bit too large.

hi there

welcome to PF :smile:

yup, everything we look at out in space, we are seeing it in the past

There was a new supernova ( an exploding star) discovered in a galaxy called Centaurus A ( NGC5128) just a few days ago
it took around 12 million years for the light of that explosion to reach Earth ... ie. it happened 12 million years ago !Dave

@davenn I see you're a day late (and probably a dollar short) :smile:

Well, OK, maybe only a few seconds late

phinds said:
@davenn I see you're a day late (and probably a dollar short) :smile:

Well, OK, maybe only a few seconds late

what are you referring to ??

davenn said:
what are you referring to ??
Just a smart-ass remark about the fact that I beat you to the reply by a few seconds. Come on, try to keep up here :smile:

Likes davenn
phinds said:
Just a smart-ass remark about the fact that I beat you to the reply by a few seconds. Come on, try to keep up here :smile:

it took time to google NGC5128 to find its distance :wink::rolleyes:

davenn said:
it took time to google NGC5128 to find its distance :wink::rolleyes:
See, that's what you get for using facts in your answer instead of just making s*** up the way I do :smile:

@Esas Shakeel, sorry Dave and I have hijacked your thread with our foolishness. PF is generally a serious science forum but occasionally a few of us get carried away.

Esas Shakeel said:
... all we are seeing is the past? ...
One thing that might interest you is that the oldest light we now can 'see' comes from a time when the Universe was much less than even 1 million years old.
At this very early time no stars or galaxies had even formed yet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_microwave_background

Not only the light we see but also the gravity pulling on us is from the past. Because gravity propagates at the speed of light, if the sun suddenly vanished, the Earth would continue orbiting where the sun was for another 8 minutes before flying off into space at a tangent.

..."all we are seeing is the past?"...

Something we see a foot away from us is already about 1 nanosecond in the past. A mountain peak or volcanic plume 50 miles away is about...25 milliseconds in the past.

c roughly 1 ft/nS

Incredible response from you guys! Thanks alot! Everything makes much more sense now
And @phinds haha, I don't mind, Its good to be carried away every once in a while I think :)

Likes davenn

What does it mean when we say "stars we see are actually their past"?

When we look up at the night sky, we are actually seeing light that has traveled from distant stars to reach our eyes. Since light has a finite speed, it takes time to travel to Earth. Therefore, the light we see from stars is actually from the past, as it has been traveling for years or even centuries to reach us.

How far back in time are we seeing when we look at stars?

The distance a star is from Earth determines how far back in time we are seeing it. For example, if a star is 100 light years away, we are seeing it as it appeared 100 years ago. This is because it took 100 years for the light to reach us.

Do all stars have a "past" that we see?

Yes, all stars have a "past" that we see since they emit light. The only difference is the amount of time it takes for the light to reach us. Some stars are closer to Earth, so we see their past from a shorter amount of time ago compared to stars that are further away.

Can the past of a star change?

No, the past of a star cannot change. The light that we see from a star is a snapshot of its past, and it will always remain the same. However, the star itself may have changed in the present time due to processes such as fusion or explosions.

How does the concept of "stars in the past" impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of "stars in the past" is crucial to our understanding of the universe. It allows us to observe and study the evolution of stars and the universe over time. By looking at distant stars, we can also learn about the history of our own galaxy and the universe as a whole. Additionally, it helps us measure the size and age of the universe.