1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Starting Out in Physics

1. Nov 18, 2005 #1
    Hello. Well, when I was younger I avoided enagement in the study of mathematics and physics, pursuing other schools of thought outside of the physical sciences. Recently however, I've noticed that all of my acquired knowledge from various disciplines have been conglomerating, and interconnecting into each other. This process has made me realize just how much I am missing. I'm at the stage where I feel it is time to get a good grasp on physics. My first problem is: my math was never great, and I haven't studied any math at all in years. My second problem: I've never studied physics as a disicipline itself in high school. It's pretty embarassing really, but I am interested in starting through self-study and then maybe getting involved in a formal course of some sort in the future. Can anyone point me in the direction where I can get a nice start on math and physics? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2005 #2

ranger

Gold Member

Hi Leviathan, you can read this. That should hopefully get you started. They use really simple language. You should really get a hold on math though. Unfortunately I dont know of any math links. My signature also has a link "Video Physics", its 30 mins physics videos. But they use a little calculus unfortunately.

4. Nov 20, 2005 #3
    With the internet, it's pretty easy to start picking up where you last left off.. (education wise)
    Take a look at Lamar University's Math Tutorial Page -> http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu
    It has a full review starting from Algebra, and ending at Calculus III/Differential Equations/Linear Algebra.
    The math isn't too bad, there are tons of examples and the tutorials are easy to learn from.

5. Nov 21, 2005 #4
    Thank you. I'm very gracious for both the physics and math page. Hopefully by summer I can contribute something worthy. Once again, thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?