1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Starting with the definition of the Dirac delta function,

1. Mar 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Starting with the definition of the Dirac delta function, show that [itex] \delta( \sqrt{x}) [/itex]

um... i have looked in my book and looked online for a problem like this and i really have no clue where to start. the only time i have used the dirac delta function is in an integral with another function and never with it in this form, only like delta(x-a).

looking for guidance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Show that [itex]\delta( \sqrt{x}) [/itex] is what?

4. Mar 4, 2009 #3
    sorry about that.

equal to 0

5. Mar 4, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

How is the Dirac delta function defined? The problem asks you to start with this definition.

6. Mar 4, 2009 #5
    from what i get out of the text. it is what replaces an inner product that vanishes if x doesn't equal x'.

I also know that it's integral is unity.

7. Mar 4, 2009 #6

Avodyne

Science Advisor

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}dx\,f(x)\delta(x)=f(0)[/tex]

Now, if only the argument of the delta function was [itex]\sqrt{z}[/itex] instead of [itex]x[/itex] ... hmmm, how could we make this happen?

8. Mar 4, 2009 #7
    let x= [itex] \sqrt{z} [/itex] then dx=(1/2)z^(-1/2)dz

and we get [itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dz z^{-1/2} f(z^{-1/2})\delta(z^{-1/2}) [/itex]

9. Mar 4, 2009 #8
    is this a valid assumption

treat [itex] \delta(\sqrt{x}) [/itex] as [itex] \delta(\sqrt{x}-0) [/itex]

10. Mar 4, 2009 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aside: I know the hand-wavy argument is clear, but does anyone know of a source that actually defines the result of composing a distribution with a function of some sort?

11. Mar 5, 2009 #10
    so assuming i made the substitution right and that was what i was supposed to do, i still dont see how i proved that it equals zero.

is that supposed to say if i plug in zero for x i get zero?

and even if i treat [itex]
    \delta(\sqrt{x})
    [/itex] as [itex]
    \delta(\sqrt{x}-0)
    [/itex]
    i still don't have a function to plug zero into.

i am still quite confused about what i am trying to do.

12. Mar 5, 2009 #11

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Section 7.4.d Composition of [itex]\delta[/itex] with a function, from Mathematics for Physics and Physicists by Walter Appel.

The idea, as usual, is to to use the distribution obtained by integrating a locally integrable function against test functions to motivate a more general definition.

1. Use locally integrable [itex]g[/itex] and integration to generate a distribution [itex]G[/itex].

2. Use locally integrable [itex]g \circ f[/itex] and integration to generate a distribution denoted by [itex]G \circ f[/itex].

3. If [itex]x[/itex] is the integration variable in 2., make the substitution [itex]y = f(x)[/itex].

4. Relate [itex]G \circ f[/itex] to [itex]G[/itex].

5. Use 4. to motivate the definition of [itex]T \circ f[/itex] in tems of an arbitrary distribution [itex]T[/itex] and differentiable and bijective function [itex]f[/itex].

If I get time tomorrow, I might type in the details.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook