1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stat Mech : Particles in Box sort of

1. Sep 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I don't want to do it word for word, but its like this:
    Statistical Mechanics is the topic.

Given a volume V and N particles within it.
    Assume no correlation in the location of the particles.

1. Find the probability that a region of volume "v" contains "n" exactly "n" particles.
    2. Show for large N>>n its Poisson Dist.
    3. Show otherwise (1 < <n> < N) its Gaussian.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm using mathematica to try to do this, so perhaps itll make it easier.
    [tex]
    \Omega _1=v^n;\text{ }\text{(*Dist for n in v*)}[/tex]
    [tex]
    \Omega _2=(V-v)^{\text{NN}-n};\text{ }\text{(*}\text{Dist} \text{for} n \text{NOT} \text{in} v, \text{but} \text{in} V-v\text{*)}[/tex]
    [tex]
    \Omega [\text{v$\_$},\text{n$\_$}]=\alpha \Omega _1 \Omega _2;\text{ }\text{(*}\text{Total}\text{*)}[/tex]
    [tex]
    \text{nCr}[\text{N$\_$},\text{n$\_$}] = N!/(n!(N-n)!);\text{ }\text{(*}\text{Possible} \text{Comb}. \text{of} \text{choosing} n/N\text{*)}
    [/tex]

Now IIRC the probability should be:
    [tex]P[\text{v$\_$},\text{n$\_$}]=\sum _{n=0}^{\text{NN}} \Omega [v,n]\text{nCr}[\text{NN},n] [/tex]

Where I sum over all possible combinations of states, and the robabilities of being in those states. (ignoring the proportionality constant)

Now so my first question as I work on this is, should I let Mathematica perform the sum? If it does I get an exact result, which then will not lead to a way to turn a sum of x^n/n! into exponential when I need to approximate N>>n to get the poisson distribution.

Does anyone have any insight at all?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?