Stat Mech : Particles in Box sort of

Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of statistical mechanics and finding the probability of a region of volume "v" containing "n" particles. When the number of particles is large (N>>n), the distribution follows a Poisson distribution, while for smaller numbers (1 < <n> < N), it follows a Gaussian distribution due to the correlation in the particles' positions. It is recommended to let Mathematica perform the sum to compare the result with the expected theoretical result.
K.J.Healey

Homework Statement

I don't want to do it word for word, but its like this:
Statistical Mechanics is the topic.

Given a volume V and N particles within it.
Assume no correlation in the location of the particles.

1. Find the probability that a region of volume "v" contains "n" exactly "n" particles.
2. Show for large N>>n its Poisson Dist.
3. Show otherwise (1 < <n> < N) its Gaussian.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm using mathematica to try to do this, so perhaps itll make it easier.
[tex]
\Omega _1=v^n;\text{ }\text{(*Dist for n in v*)}[/tex]
[tex]
\Omega _2=(V-v)^{\text{NN}-n};\text{ }\text{(*}\text{Dist} \text{for} n \text{NOT} \text{in} v, \text{but} \text{in} V-v\text{*)}[/tex]
[tex]
\Omega [\text{v$\_$},\text{n$\_$}]=\alpha \Omega _1 \Omega _2;\text{ }\text{(*}\text{Total}\text{*)}[/tex]
[tex]
\text{nCr}[\text{N$\_$},\text{n$\_$}] = N!/(n!(N-n)!);\text{ }\text{(*}\text{Possible} \text{Comb}. \text{of} \text{choosing} n/N\text{*)}
[/tex]

Now IIRC the probability should be:
[tex]P[\text{v$\_$},\text{n$\_$}]=\sum _{n=0}^{\text{NN}} \Omega [v,n]\text{nCr}[\text{NN},n] [/tex]

Where I sum over all possible combinations of states, and the robabilities of being in those states. (ignoring the proportionality constant)

Now so my first question as I work on this is, should I let Mathematica perform the sum? If it does I get an exact result, which then will not lead to a way to turn a sum of x^n/n! into exponential when I need to approximate N>>n to get the poisson distribution.

Does anyone have any insight at all?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for raising this interesting topic on statistical mechanics. I am a scientist with a background in physics and I would like to offer some insights on your questions.

To address your first question, whether you should let Mathematica perform the sum or not, I would suggest that you let it perform the sum and then compare the result with the expected theoretical result. This will not only help you check the validity of your calculations, but also provide a better understanding of the problem.

Moving on to your second question, let me clarify the concept of the Poisson distribution. It is a discrete probability distribution that expresses the probability of a given number of events occurring in a fixed interval of time or space, if these events occur with a known average rate and independently of the time since the last event. In your problem, the number of particles in a given region of volume "v" follows a Poisson distribution when the number of particles is large (N>>n). This means that the probability of finding a certain number of particles in the region depends only on the average number of particles in the region and is independent of the specific configuration of the particles.

On the other hand, when the number of particles is not very large (1 < <n> < N), the distribution of particles follows a Gaussian distribution. This is because in this case, the particles are not distributed randomly and their positions are correlated, leading to a Gaussian distribution instead of a Poisson distribution.

I hope this helps in your understanding of the problem. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your calculations!

FAQ: Stat Mech : Particles in Box sort of

1. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of large systems of particles, using statistical methods to predict their macroscopic properties. It is based on the fundamental laws of thermodynamics and the principles of statistical probability.

2. What are particles in a box?

Particles in a box is a simple model used in statistical mechanics to study the behavior of a group of particles confined within a finite space. The particles are considered to be point-like, and interact only when they collide with each other or with the walls of the box.

3. How does temperature affect the behavior of particles in a box?

The temperature of a system of particles in a box is directly related to the average kinetic energy of the particles. As the temperature increases, the particles move faster and collide more frequently, leading to an increase in entropy and a more disordered system.

4. What is the Boltzmann distribution in statistical mechanics?

The Boltzmann distribution is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics that describes the probability of a particle having a certain energy in a given system. It states that the probability of a particle having a certain energy is proportional to the exponential of that energy divided by the system's temperature.

5. What is the significance of the partition function in statistical mechanics?

The partition function is a key quantity in statistical mechanics that is used to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system. It is defined as the sum of all possible energy states of the system, and it allows us to determine the average energy, entropy, and other important properties of the system.

Back