Stat mech: partition functions for N distinguishable harmonic oscill-

In summary, the problem asks to determine the canonical partition function for a system of N distinguishable, non-interacting harmonic oscillators. This can be approached by first assuming the oscillators obey Schrodinger's equation, and then by assuming they obey Newton's equations of motion. The partition function can be factorized into two functions dependent on either position or momentum, with the one dependent on momentum being the desired function for the second question. The energy eigenvalues for a quantum harmonic oscillator are also mentioned as a relevant concept.
kd215

Homework Statement

Consider a system of N distinguishable, non-interacting harmonic oscillators. The Hamiltonian is given (shown below).
Assuming that the oscillators obey Schrodinger's equation, determine the canonical partition function for the system. Then assume the oscillators obey Newton's equations of motion and determine the partition function for the system.

Homework Equations

[itex]H[/itex] = Ʃ[itex]\frac{p_i^2}{2m}[/itex] +Ʃ[itex]\frac{1}{2}k|r_i-r_i^o|^2[/itex]

[itex]r_i^o[/itex] is the equilibrium position of the ith oscillator particle

The Attempt at a Solution

So for the first question, Schrodinger's equation means that we can only exactly know the position or the momentum for a particle, right? I've been trying to factorize the partition function as two functions that are dependent on either position or momenta. So if I do this correctly, would I obtain two functions that are both partition functions? And the one that's a function of momenta would be what I am supposed to find in the second question?

I'm just now even sure if I'm interpreting this correctly. I feel like my partition function that is a function of momenta is just the Boltzmann weighted sum.

Please just let me know if I'm even thinking in the right direction.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
kd215 said:
So for the first question, Schrodinger's equation means that we can only exactly know the position or the momentum for a particle, right?

I don't understand what Schrodinger's equation has to do with that.

Do you remember that the energy eigenvalues for a quantum harmonic oscillators are [itex] E_n = \hbar \omega (\frac{1}{2}+n) [/itex] ?

1. What is the partition function for N distinguishable harmonic oscillators?

The partition function for N distinguishable harmonic oscillators is given by Q(N) = [exp(-βℏω)]^N, where β is the inverse temperature, is the reduced Planck's constant, and ω is the angular frequency of the oscillator.

2. How does the partition function change with temperature?

The partition function increases with temperature, as the exponential term exp(-βℏω) becomes smaller and closer to 1. This means that at higher temperatures, there are more available energy states for the oscillators to occupy.

3. Can the partition function be used to calculate the average energy of the system?

Yes, the average energy of the system can be calculated using the partition function. It is given by U = -d(lnQ)/dβ, where U is the average energy and d(lnQ)/dβ is the derivative of the logarithm of the partition function with respect to the inverse temperature.

4. What is the significance of the partition function in statistical mechanics?

The partition function is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics, as it allows us to calculate thermodynamic properties of a system such as energy, entropy, and free energy. It provides a bridge between the microscopic properties of a system and its macroscopic behavior.

5. Can the partition function be extended to systems with more degrees of freedom?

Yes, the partition function can be extended to systems with more degrees of freedom by considering the product of partition functions for each individual degree of freedom. This allows us to analyze more complex systems, such as molecules and solids.