State Kets in QM and F. Path Integral

In summary, position state kets are continuous state kets that satisfy X|x> = x|x>. However, when we label the position ket with a discrete index and expand operators as <x_i|H|x_j>, it means that we are discretizing time in the path integral representation. This is different from discretizing space, as the index corresponds to ##x(t_i)## and the time interval is taken to be very small. This allows us to see the integral as a sequence of state evaluations starting at x_o and ending at x_f.
Sina
Greetings,

I know that position state ket is a continuous state ket satisfying X|x> = x|x>. There is however one notation I don't understand. What does it mean when we label the position ket with a discrete index and then use these to expand operators as <x_i|H|x_j>? What does it generally mean to label a continuous ket with a discrete index? I would also welcome any insightful comments about position kets. I have seen them before but I have realized I haven't completely understood it.

The reason is that I was studying f. path integrals and using some identity and inserting couple of identity operators integral (<x_i|x_i> dx_i) and using a operator identity we get the path integral representation of the matrix elements of the propagator. That integral contains terms dx_i*dx_(i-1)... and they explain it as integrating through all possible paths starting from x_o and ending at x_f (our initial and final state kets). I don't quite understand how to understand it that way.. The integral is over the space of functions (vectors) on Hilbert space (state kets in our case) but how do we see it as a sequence of state evaluation starting at x_o and ending at x_f?

Thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
In the case of the path integral, the index corresponds to the discretized time, not to a discretization of space: ##x_i## is ##x(t_i)##. The time interval is then taken in the limit ##\Delta t \rightarrow 0##.

1. What are state kets in quantum mechanics?

State kets, also known as quantum states, are mathematical representations of the physical state of a quantum system. They are represented by vectors in a vector space, and contain all the information about the system's properties and behavior.

2. What is the significance of state kets in quantum mechanics?

State kets are essential in quantum mechanics as they allow us to mathematically describe and predict the behavior of quantum systems. They are used to calculate the probability of a system being in a certain state, and are crucial in understanding quantum phenomena such as superposition and entanglement.

3. How do state kets relate to the path integral formulation in quantum mechanics?

The path integral formulation is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle moving from one state to another. State kets are used in this formulation as they represent the initial and final states of the particle, allowing us to calculate the transition probability between the two states.

4. What is the difference between state kets and wavefunctions in quantum mechanics?

State kets and wavefunctions are both mathematical representations of quantum states, but they serve different purposes. State kets represent the state of the entire quantum system, while wavefunctions represent the state of a single particle within the system.

5. Can state kets in quantum mechanics be visualized?

No, state kets cannot be visualized in the traditional sense as they are abstract mathematical constructs. They exist in a mathematical space and cannot be directly observed or measured.