State of matter: Potential Energy - seperation graph

In summary, The graph provided in the conversation shows the shape of the Lennard-Jones Potential, which depicts the relationship between potential energy and distance between atoms. At absolute zero, the potential energy is minimum and the resultant force between atoms is zero. This is because there is no motion at absolute zero, only vibrational kinetic energy. The equilibrium separation is where the potential energy is minimum, as this is where the resultant force is also zero.
Kurokari
The graph should look something like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:12-6-Lennard-Jones-Potential.svg (the other information has nothing to do with what I ask though, only the shape of the graph for clarity sake)

My question is, does resultant force = 0, or when potential energy is minimum occur during absolute zero only, if so then what is the kinetic energy? Is kinetic energy maximum, or simply zero since it is absolute zero.

If I'm wrong about U = 0 occurring at absolute zero only please correct me.

My second question is, why is it that potential energy is minimum when at equilibrium seperation? Why not kinetic energy is minimum since at equilibrium, attractive force = repulsive force and the 2 particle is not moving?

Physics news on Phys.org
At the equilibrium separation the resultant force on an atom = zero.
To INCREASE the separation work must be done against the attraction force between atoms... this means an increase in potential energy
To DECREASE the separation work must be done against the force of repulsion between atoms... this also means an increase in potential energy.
So the minimum of potential energy is when the resultant force between atoms = zero.
At temperatures above absolute zero atoms are vibrating... they have vibrational KE.
They are not moving around like molecules in a gs which have TRANSLATIONAL KE

1. What is a state of matter?

A state of matter refers to the physical form that a substance can take, such as solid, liquid, or gas.

2. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state, and has the potential to be converted into other forms of energy.

3. What is a separation graph?

A separation graph, also known as a phase diagram, is a graphical representation of how a substance changes from one state of matter to another at different temperatures and pressures.

4. How does potential energy affect the state of matter?

The amount of potential energy in a substance can determine its state of matter. For example, as potential energy increases, a substance can change from a solid to a liquid or a liquid to a gas.

5. Are there other factors besides potential energy that can affect the state of matter?

Yes, besides potential energy, factors such as temperature and pressure can also impact the state of matter. For instance, increasing pressure can cause a gas to turn into a liquid, even if its potential energy remains the same.