Static 2d body, force in member unknown

In summary, to find the stress or force in member AE, you can use the equation torque = force x distance. The solution provided in the book is 142 kN. However, in the attempts provided, there are still reaction forces at F and G that have not been taken into consideration. For members B and C, the forces at G and F cancel out since they are directly in line. In the calculation for member D, the force at F was taken into account.
togo

Homework Statement

hvs48j.jpg

Find stress or force in member AE

Homework Equations

torque = force x distance

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution out of book is 142 kN

Attempts:
Mb = -(200kN)(2.5m) + (.895AE)(5) + 510
= 111 Kn

Mc = -(3m)(170kN) + (.895AE)(5)
= 114 kN

Md = (-80)(2.5) - (100kN)(7.5m) + (.895AE)(2.5)
= 424.60 kN

Solving for force at F and G, Fy = 80 kN and Gy = 130 kN

where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are still reaction forces at F and G that you havn't took into consideration.

For B and C the forces at G and F are directly in line therefore they cancel out. In my calculation for D, I did take F into account

Any ideas

I would like to point out that the solution provided in the book may not necessarily be the correct or only solution. It is always important to check your calculations and assumptions to ensure accuracy. As for your attempts, it seems like you may have made a mistake in your calculations for Mb and Md. Additionally, it is important to consider all the forces acting on the member AE, including any external loads or support reactions. It may be helpful to draw a free body diagram to better understand the forces at play. I suggest double-checking your calculations and considering all forces for a more accurate solution.

1. What is a static 2d body?

A static 2d body is an object or structure that is not in motion and is being analyzed in a two-dimensional coordinate system. This means that only forces acting in the x and y directions are considered, and the effects of rotation and other 3-dimensional forces are ignored.

2. How do you determine the unknown force in a member?

To determine the unknown force in a member, you must first draw a free body diagram of the entire structure, including all known and unknown forces. Then, apply the equations of static equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces in the x and y directions must equal zero, and the sum of all moments about any point must also equal zero. Solving these equations will give you the magnitude and direction of the unknown force.

3. What are the units for force in static 2d analysis?

The units for force in static 2d analysis are typically newtons (N) or pounds (lb). These units represent the measurement of force required to accelerate a mass of 1 kilogram or 1 pound, respectively, at a rate of 1 meter per second squared.

4. Can a static 2d body have more than one unknown force?

Yes, a static 2d body can have multiple unknown forces. This often occurs when there are more unknown forces than there are equations of equilibrium, making it necessary to solve for multiple unknowns simultaneously using algebraic or graphical methods.

5. What is the significance of solving for unknown forces in a static 2d body?

Solving for unknown forces in a static 2d body is crucial for understanding the stability and safety of a structure. It allows engineers and scientists to determine the maximum load that a structure can withstand without collapsing, and helps in designing structures that can support the expected forces and maintain their structural integrity.