1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static displacement of a spring

1. Oct 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How would I find the static displacement of a spring due to maximum applied force? I asking this for arbitrary equation say ##m\ddot{x} + kx = F(t)##.

2. Relevant equations
    Hooke's law

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know how one would do this. Would it be find the maximum force and then use Hooke's law?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2014 #2
    Do you have an actual problem in mind?
    If it's "static" why do you have a time dependent force?

4. Oct 8, 2014 #3
    That is the type of equation of motion I have and the question is what is the static displacement due to the maximum force applied. I know ##k##, ##m##, and ##F(t)## but I looking for an explanation on how I would find this.

5. Oct 8, 2014 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the force depends on t, then x is not static ...

6. Oct 8, 2014 #5
    This is a second question form the other question you answered. That is the exact verbiage of the question and you saw the problem statement and ##x(t)## solution.

7. Oct 8, 2014 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am pretty sure this is your interpretation of the problem due to how you phrased it, but it is not coming through so all I can offer is my interpretation of your interpretation, namely: What would be the static displacement if the force was constant and equal to the maximal value of F(t)?

Then yes, you would find the maximal value of F and plug it into Hooke's law due to force equilibrium at the static point. Alternatively, you would note that all time derivatives are zero for any static solution. Thus ##\ddot x=0## and you again get the same.

8. Oct 8, 2014 #7
    I can take a picture of the question so you can see it is identical. I just added the how would I find.

9. Oct 8, 2014 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In that case, the only interpretation I can find that makes any sense is the one above. Some problem writers really need to learn to formulate better ...

10. Oct 8, 2014 #9
    One more question, ##F_{\max} = \lvert F_{\max}\rvert##, correct? I think this must be the case since it is oscillating the max force could be in the reverse direction as well.

11. Oct 8, 2014 #10
    Yes, this may be useful. Even if you reproduced verbatim part of the problem, you did not reproduce the text completely.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted