1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static equilibirum, elasticity, fracture problem

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    1. A 19.0 kg ball is supported from the ceiling by rope A. Rope B pulls downward and to the side on the ball. If the angle of A to the vertical is 22 degrees and if B makes an angle of 53 degrees to the vertical find the tension in rope A and then find the tension in rope B

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2
    Can you list the forces present?
    Please show your attempt.

4. Nov 9, 2009 #3
    yeah the forces present are the weight of the ball (19.0 kg) and the tensions in both ropes i tried to work out the tension in rope A by looking at its tension as a vector with both an X and Y components and used that to make a triangle out of the tension in. I figured the y would be equal to the weight of the ball which would be (19kg)(9.81) and the hypotenuse would work out to be cos(22 degrees)= (19kg)(9.81)/tension or TensionA= (19kg)(9.81)/cos(22degrees) and the same thing for Rope B and im not sure where i went wrong

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook