Static equilibrium force decomposition problem

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the torque when given a specific formula, with the use of trigonometry and perpendicular radius. One person initially struggles to understand the trigonometric parts, but then realizes that using perpendicular radius will result in the correct cosine and sine values. The conversation also mentions that they are summing the torque about a specific axis.
Navyeel
Homework Statement
I dont fully understand why the decompositions of forces.
Relevant Equations
F stands for friction, N is normalforce.
If you see the $\sum \tau_0 = L\cdot N_1 \cdot cos \theta - LF_1 sin \theta - L/2 \cdot G cos \theta$, all the trigonemetric parts are all opposite of what i can understand, given the angle as drawed in the Picture/url.

Please help me :)https://pasteboard.co/IiXr8qA.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I got it, my fault was that i forgot that in torque that if i use perpendicular radius i will get the cosines and the sinus parts correct :)

Yes it's always the perpendicular radius you need to use.

I note they are summing the torque about an axis at the top of the ladder.

Navyeel said:
If you see the $\sum \tau_0 = L\cdot N_1 \cdot cos \theta - LF_1 sin \theta - L/2 \cdot G cos \theta$
To get that LaTeX to render, you need doubled dollar signs like so:
$$\sum \tau_0 = L\cdot N_1 \cdot cos \theta - LF_1 sin \theta - L/2 \cdot G cos \theta$$

Ah ok, thanks :smile:

What is a static equilibrium force decomposition problem?

A static equilibrium force decomposition problem is a type of physics problem that involves analyzing the forces acting on an object in order to determine whether the object is in a state of equilibrium. In other words, all the forces acting on the object cancel each other out, resulting in no net force and no acceleration of the object.

How do you solve a static equilibrium force decomposition problem?

To solve a static equilibrium force decomposition problem, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object and their respective magnitudes and directions. Next, you can use Newton's Second Law (ΣF=ma) and the principle of equilibrium (ΣF=0) to set up equations and solve for any unknown forces or angles.

What are some common examples of static equilibrium force decomposition problems?

Some common examples of static equilibrium force decomposition problems include determining the tension in a rope supporting a hanging object, analyzing the forces acting on a beam balancing on a fulcrum, and calculating the forces acting on a person standing on a ladder.

What happens if an object is not in a state of static equilibrium?

If an object is not in a state of static equilibrium, that means there is a net force acting on the object, causing it to accelerate. This acceleration could result in the object moving in a particular direction or rotating about a certain axis.

What are the key principles to remember when solving a static equilibrium force decomposition problem?

The key principles to remember when solving a static equilibrium force decomposition problem are Newton's Second Law, the principle of equilibrium, and the fact that forces can be broken down into components in order to simplify the problem. It is also important to remember that forces act in pairs, and each force has an equal and opposite reaction force.