How to Find Coeffecient of Static Friction?

In summary, the problem involves a crate with a mass of 277 kg sitting on an inclined surface of 20.0° above the horizontal. The coefficient of static friction is needed to just start the crate moving down the incline. The equation used is ∫s = μs * N, where ∫s is the force of friction, μs is the coefficient of static friction, and N is the normal force. By setting up a free-body diagram and using trigonometry, the coefficient of static friction is calculated to be 0.633. The parallel force is relevant because it helps determine the force of friction and plays a role in the equation used to find the coefficient of static friction.
"that guy"

Homework Statement

A crate, M = 277 kg, sits at rest on a surface that is inclined at 20.0° above the horizontal. A horizontal force (parallel to the ground), F1 = 594 N is required to just start the crate moving down the incline.

To the nearest thousandth, what is the coefficient of static between the crate and the incline?

Answer: 0.633

Homework Equations

I assume ∫s=μs * N

The Attempt at a Solution

What I originally did was draw a free-body diagram of the crate. The active forces, as far as I can tell, would be weight, acting straight down, and Normal force, acting up the y-axis relative to the crate. Friction was acting in the negative y direction relative to the box, opposing w(sinθ). So ∫s = w(sinθ) and N = w(cosθ). At this point, I had w(sinθ) = μs(w(cosθ)). (Substituting w(sinθ) for ∫s, and w(cosθ) for N.) I then took the answer and divided to get μs, but it was obviously incorrect. My answer was 0.219, whereas the actual answer was 0.633. Could someone please walk me through this, and show me just what I'm not getting? Also, where does the parallel force come into play/why is it relevant? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
"that guy" said:
What I originally did was draw a free-body diagram of the crate. The active forces, as far as I can tell, would be weight, acting straight down, and Normal force, acting up the y-axis relative to the crate.
Orienting your axis so the x-axis is along the slope?

Friction was acting in the negative y direction relative to the box,
friction always acts along a surface.

Could someone please walk me through this
That would be against the rules, however, this we can do:
show me just what I'm not getting?
Hopefully the above also helps with your next question:
Also, where does the parallel force come into play/why is it relevant?
What would you expect the parallel force to do if there was no friction?

Think about the force going downwards parallel to the slope as mgsinθ. The normal force would be mgcosθ. Think about how to take the normal force to derive another equation for the force of friction.

1. What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of force required to overcome the static friction between two surfaces in contact. It is denoted by the symbol μs and is dependent on the materials and surface conditions of the two objects.

2. How is the coefficient of static friction determined?

The coefficient of static friction can be determined experimentally by measuring the amount of force needed to initiate motion between two surfaces. This is done by gradually increasing the applied force until motion occurs, and then using the formula μs = F/N, where F is the applied force and N is the normal force between the two surfaces.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, their roughness, and any substances or particles present between them. It can also be influenced by the temperature and the angle of the surface.

4. How does the coefficient of static friction differ from the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of static friction applies to objects that are not yet in motion, while the coefficient of kinetic friction applies to objects that are already in motion. The coefficient of static friction is typically larger than the coefficient of kinetic friction for the same surfaces.

5. Can the coefficient of static friction be greater than 1?

Yes, the coefficient of static friction can be greater than 1. This indicates that a greater amount of force is needed to overcome the static friction between two surfaces. However, in most cases, the coefficient of static friction is less than 1, as it is typically easier to initiate motion between surfaces than to maintain it.