Static Friction of box on a ramp

In summary, the question asks for the coefficient of static friction between a 100kg box and a ramp at an angle of inclination of 15 degrees. The attempt at a solution involves setting up an equation and solving for the coefficient of friction by considering the maximum value of static friction and the component of gravity down the ramp, which can be found using trigonometry.
elbonymcbride

Homework Statement

A 100kg box is placed on a ramp. As part of the ramp is raised, the box begins to move downward just as the angle of inclination reaches 15 degrees. What is the coefficient of static friction between the box and the ramp?

Homework Equations

Fn = mg-Fsin15

The Attempt at a Solution

Fcos15 = Mk(mg-Fsin15)
F(cos15+sin15) = Mkmg
F=Mkmg/cos15+Mksin15
= 0.2(100kg)(9.8)\cos15+0.2sin15
I continued to solve this problem, however the answer that I got was not one of my answer choices. I believe that I used the wrong equation; but even with the right equation, I never know where to start. Can anybody help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: At the point where the box just barely begins to slide, the force acting down the ramp (the component of gravity) is just overcoming the static friction.

What's the component of gravity down the ramp?
What's the maximum value of static friction?

These both depend on the angle. Set up an equation and [STRIKE]solve for the angle[/STRIKE]. Edit: You are given the angle; I meant set up an equation and solve for the coefficient of friction.

Last edited:
would the maximum value of static friction be zero?
How would I find the component of gravity with the information given?

elbonymcbride said:
would the maximum value of static friction be zero?
No. Hint: How does friction force relate to the normal force? How does the normal force depend on the angle?
How would I find the component of gravity with the information given?
You are given the angle of the ramp. Use a bit of trig to find the component parallel to the ramp.

I would first review the given information and make sure all units are consistent. In this case, the mass of the box is given in kilograms and the acceleration due to gravity is given in meters per second squared, so it is important to convert the mass to kilograms.

Next, I would make sure to draw a free body diagram of the box on the ramp, including all the forces acting on it. In this case, there is the normal force (Fn), the force of gravity (mg), and the force of friction (F). The angle of inclination (15 degrees) can also be indicated on the diagram.

From the free body diagram, I can see that the only force acting in the direction of motion is the component of gravity parallel to the ramp, which is Fsin15. The normal force and the component of gravity perpendicular to the ramp (Fcos15) will cancel each other out.

Now, I can use the equation for static friction: F = μsFn, where μs is the coefficient of static friction and Fn is the normal force. From the free body diagram, I can see that Fn = mg - Fsin15. Substituting this into the equation, I get:

F = μs(mg - Fsin15)

Solving for F:

F = μsmg - μsFsin15

F + μsFsin15 = μsmg

F(1 + μssin15) = μsmg

F = μsmg / (1 + μssin15)

Now, I can plug in the given values for mass (100kg), acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and the angle (15 degrees) to solve for F, which is the maximum force of friction that can prevent the box from sliding down the ramp. This value can then be used to solve for the coefficient of static friction (μs) by dividing by the normal force (Fn) or by multiplying by the inverse of the normal force, which is 1/cos15.

μs = F/Fn = (μsmg / (1 + μssin15)) / (mg - Fsin15)

μs = (0.2*100*9.8 / (1 + 0.2*sin15)) / (100*9.8 - 100*9.8*sin15)

μs = 0.2 / (1 +

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when it is in contact with a surface. It is a type of friction that occurs when the two surfaces are not sliding against each other, but rather are at rest.

2. How does static friction affect a box on a ramp?

In the case of a box on a ramp, static friction acts in the opposite direction of the force of gravity, preventing the box from sliding down the ramp. The amount of static friction present depends on the weight of the box, the angle of the ramp, and the coefficient of static friction between the box and the ramp's surface.

3. What factors affect the static friction between a box and a ramp?

The amount of static friction between a box and a ramp is affected by the weight of the box, the angle of the ramp, and the coefficient of static friction between the two surfaces. The coefficient of static friction is a measure of how easily the two surfaces slide against each other, with a higher coefficient indicating a stronger frictional force.

4. How can the coefficient of static friction be determined?

The coefficient of static friction can be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to start an object moving on a surface and dividing it by the weight of the object. It can also be calculated using the equation μs = F/N, where μs is the coefficient of static friction, F is the force of static friction, and N is the normal force exerted by the surface on the object.

5. Can the static friction between a box and a ramp be greater than the force of gravity?

Yes, in the case of a steep ramp or a heavy box, the force of static friction can be greater than the force of gravity, causing the box to remain stationary on the ramp. However, if the force of gravity exceeds the maximum static friction force, the box will start to slide down the ramp.