1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics: Dimensionless Unit Vector

1. Jan 14, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Equation.PNG
    Question.PNG
    2. Relevant equations
    Unit Vector.PNG
    3. The attempt at a solution
    So I began by subtracting.
    (205-160)=55 i
    (495+128)=623 j
    Both of these vectors are in the positive direction. So if I divide the vector by its magnitude I should get an answer of 1 in the positive direction for both i and j.
    The online book lists the answers as R hat = 0.0720 i + 0.997 j . I guess I'm not sure how the book got these answers. I thought unit vectors always had a magnitude of 1 and their purpose was to determine the direction of the vector.
    Thank You!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2017 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

If each component had a magnitude of 1 then the vector would not be a unit vector!

The unit vector does have a magnitude of 1. Given those components, find the magnitude of the full vector. What do you get?

4. Jan 14, 2017 #3

Mark44

Minor point, but ##\vec{B} - \vec{A}## has units of lbs, and so would a unit vector in this direction. I'm puzzled by the instruction to "find a dimensionless unit vector" in this direction.

5. Jan 14, 2017 #4

Doc Al

If you divide by the magnitude (also in lbs) you can get a dimensionless direction vector.

6. Jan 14, 2017 #5

Mark44

OK, that makes sense. Objection withdrawn...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted