Statics: finding forces in frame

In summary: It's important to carefully consider all forces and moments when solving problems like this. This mistake is a common one, so just be sure to double check your work in the future.In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the force in piston CD by summing moments at A in the frame ACDBE. After correctly solving for E(suby) and A(suby), the conversation discusses dismembering the frame into two legs, CBE and ACB, and solving for the unknowns C and B using two equations and two unknowns. A mistake is made by counting the 2500lb weight twice, but is corrected and the correct answer is obtained. The conversation ends with a reminder to carefully consider all forces and moments when solving
SoylentBlue

Homework Statement

When the piston CD is lowered, ACB and CBE are horizontal, and they ask for the force in piston CD.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So first we look at the entire frame ACDBE, and we sum moments at A:
-(14)(2500) + 24E(suby) = 0; E(suby) = 1458
Then A(suby) is 1041 since they both total 2500
A(subx) = 0 since no horiz forces; E(subx) = 0 since it is a roller.
So far so good.
Now we dismember and end up with 2 legs: CBE, and ACB. We don't know the force at B, and we are looking for the value of C, but we have 2 equations and 2 unknowns, so this should be solvable.
On the bottom leg, we sum moments about A:
4C -14(2500)-18B=0 (assume B is downward)
On the top leg, we sum moments about E:
-6B + 10(2500) - 20C=0 (assume B is opposite and therefore up)
We multiply the top equation by 5 so the C values cancel; top equation becomes
20C-175,000-90B=0
We're left with B= -1562
Which yields a value of 103 for C. The book's answer is 1339 for C.
Point me in the right direction please. Is this an error in logic, math, or something else? Thank you in advance :^)

[/B]

Attachments

• prob652.jpg
    prob652.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 391
  • prob652B.jpg
    prob652B.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 393
  • prob652C.jpg
    prob652C.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 381
Physics news on Phys.org
SoylentBlue said:
On the bottom leg, we sum moments about A:
4C -14(2500)-18B=0 (assume B is downward)
How is member ACB 'aware' of the 2500lb weight?

Thank you thank you thank you...it was such a D'Oh mistake:oops:, but I just couldn't see that I was counting the 2500LB force twice! When I took the 2500LB force away from the bottom arm, the problem almost solved itself, and I got the same answer as the book gives.

SoylentBlue said:
Thank you thank you thank you...it was such a D'Oh mistake:oops:, but I just couldn't see that I was counting the 2500LB force twice! When I took the 2500LB force away from the bottom arm, the problem almost solved itself, and I got the same answer as the book gives.
Glad to hear it.

1. What is statics and why is it important in finding forces in frames?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in a state of constant motion. It is important in finding forces in frames because it helps us understand how external forces act on a structure and how these forces affect the equilibrium of the structure.

2. How do you determine the forces acting on a frame?

To determine the forces acting on a frame, you need to first draw a free body diagram of the frame, showing all the external forces acting on it. Then, you can use equations of static equilibrium, such as the sum of forces and sum of moments, to solve for the unknown forces.

3. What is the difference between internal forces and external forces in a frame?

Internal forces are those that act within the structure, while external forces are those that act on the structure from outside. Internal forces help keep the structure together, while external forces can change the shape or motion of the structure.

4. Can you find the forces in a frame without knowing the dimensions?

No, it is not possible to find the forces in a frame without knowing the dimensions. The dimensions of the frame are necessary to calculate the moments and distances needed in the equations of static equilibrium.

5. What are some common assumptions made in statics when finding forces in frames?

Some common assumptions made in statics include the neglect of friction, the assumption of rigid bodies, and the assumption that all forces are acting in the same plane. These assumptions simplify the calculations and make them more manageable, but they may not always reflect real-life situations accurately.