1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Statistic] NCE or just usual z-score?

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In an ancient culture, the average male life span was 37.6 years, with a standard deviation of 4.8 years The average female life span was 41.2 years, with a standard deviation of 7.7 years. use the properties of the normal distribution to find the following:
    a. What percentage of men died before age 30?
    b. What percentage of women lived to an age of at least 50?
    c. At what age is a female death at the same relative position in the distribution as a male death at age 35?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]X'=s'z+\overline{X}[/tex]
    using Standard Normal Distribution table to find percentile rank

3. The attempt at a solution
    Problem a a is clear for me, but I have a little doubt in b, because
    I am confused about choosing between [tex]PR_{49.9}[/tex] or [tex]PR_{50}[/tex]? Percentile rank is defined as at or below. So, if it is said at least, I have to choose lower number, but what is it? Is it 49.9; 49.99; 49.999; or... So that's why I think [tex]PR_{50}[/tex] is the best [​IMG]

Problem c is just using z-score right? So I don't have to apply Normal Curve Equivalent here? Finding z-score for male rate, then using mean and standard deviaton for female rate, then that's the answer. Is it right?

Thanks for the answer. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

If you want the percentage of women who lived to at least [tex] 50 [/tex] you want to calculate

[tex]
    \Pr(X \ge 50)
    [/tex]

For the second question (I think this is what you are saying) if you can determine how many standard deviations [tex] 35 [tex] is from the mean lifetime for men, you need to find the age for women that is the same number of standard deviations from their mean.

4. Oct 6, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since the normal distribution is a continuous distribution, not just integer valued, the probability a woman will live to be "exactly" 50 is 0 (the integral of the probility density "from 50 to 50" is 0). The probability a woman will live to be "greater than or equal to 50" and "greater than 50" are the same.

5. Oct 8, 2008 #4
    So, it is 100%-PR(50), right?
    Gosh, I do it with PR (49.9) [​IMG]

6. Oct 8, 2008 #5
    --EDITED--
    Double post, sorry. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?