[Statistic] NCE or just usual z-score?

• Thread starter master cherundo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistic
In summary, the average male life span was 37.6 years, with a standard deviation of 4.8 years. The average female life span was 41.2 years, with a standard deviation of 7.7 years. At what age is a female death at the same relative position in the distribution as a male death at age 35? If you want the percentage of women who lived to at least 50, you want to calculate \Pr(X \ge 50)
master cherundo

Homework Statement

In an ancient culture, the average male life span was 37.6 years, with a standard deviation of 4.8 years The average female life span was 41.2 years, with a standard deviation of 7.7 years. use the properties of the normal distribution to find the following:
a. What percentage of men died before age 30?
b. What percentage of women lived to an age of at least 50?
c. At what age is a female death at the same relative position in the distribution as a male death at age 35?

Homework Equations

[tex]X'=s'z+\overline{X}[/tex]
using Standard Normal Distribution table to find percentile rank

The Attempt at a Solution

Problem a a is clear for me, but I have a little doubt in b, because
I am confused about choosing between [tex]PR_{49.9}[/tex] or [tex]PR_{50}[/tex]? Percentile rank is defined as at or below. So, if it is said at least, I have to choose lower number, but what is it? Is it 49.9; 49.99; 49.999; or... So that's why I think [tex]PR_{50}[/tex] is the best "hyprotika.wordpress.com"[/URL]

Problem c is just using z-score right? So I don't have to apply Normal Curve Equivalent here? Finding z-score for male rate, then using mean and standard deviaton for female rate, then that's the answer. Is it right?

Thanks for the answer. [PLAIN]"hyprotika.wordpress.com"[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want the percentage of women who lived to at least [tex] 50 [/tex] you want to calculate

[tex]
\Pr(X \ge 50)
[/tex]

For the second question (I think this is what you are saying) if you can determine how many standard deviations [tex] 35 [tex] is from the mean lifetime for men, you need to find the age for women that is the same number of standard deviations from their mean.

Since the normal distribution is a continuous distribution, not just integer valued, the probability a woman will live to be "exactly" 50 is 0 (the integral of the probility density "from 50 to 50" is 0). The probability a woman will live to be "greater than or equal to 50" and "greater than 50" are the same.

So, it is 100%-PR(50), right?
Gosh, I do it with PR (49.9)
uuu.gif

--EDITED--
Double post, sorry. "hyprotika.wordpress.com"[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between NCE and z-score?

NCE (Normal Curve Equivalent) and z-score are both measures of relative standing in a normal distribution. NCE is a unitless score that ranges from 0-100, with 50 representing the mean and each standard deviation equal to 10 points. Z-score, on the other hand, is a standardized score that measures how many standard deviations a data point is from the mean. It has a mean of 0 and a standard deviation of 1.

2. When should I use NCE versus z-score?

NCE is often used in educational settings to measure student performance and growth over time. Z-score is commonly used in statistical analyses to compare data points from different distributions. Ultimately, the choice between NCE and z-score depends on the context and purpose of the analysis.

3. How do I calculate NCE and z-score?

To calculate NCE, you need to know the raw score, mean, and standard deviation of the data set. You can then use the formula (raw score - mean) / standard deviation x 10 + 50 to find the NCE. To calculate z-score, you need the raw score, mean, and standard deviation of the data set. The formula for z-score is (raw score - mean) / standard deviation.

4. What do NCE and z-score tell me about my data?

NCE and z-score both provide information about the relative position of a data point in a normal distribution. A higher NCE or positive z-score indicates that the data point is above the mean, while a lower NCE or negative z-score indicates that the data point is below the mean. NCE and z-score can also be used to compare data points from different distributions.

5. Can NCE and z-score be applied to non-normal distributions?

NCE is specifically designed for use with normal distributions and may not accurately represent data from non-normal distributions. Z-score, however, can be applied to any distribution as long as the data is approximately normally distributed. If the data is highly skewed or has extreme outliers, z-score may not be an appropriate measure of relative standing.