Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: [Statistic] NCE or just usual z-score?

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In an ancient culture, the average male life span was 37.6 years, with a standard deviation of 4.8 years The average female life span was 41.2 years, with a standard deviation of 7.7 years. use the properties of the normal distribution to find the following:
    a. What percentage of men died before age 30?
    b. What percentage of women lived to an age of at least 50?
    c. At what age is a female death at the same relative position in the distribution as a male death at age 35?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]X'=s'z+\overline{X}[/tex]
    using Standard Normal Distribution table to find percentile rank

3. The attempt at a solution
    Problem a a is clear for me, but I have a little doubt in b, because
    I am confused about choosing between [tex]PR_{49.9}[/tex] or [tex]PR_{50}[/tex]? Percentile rank is defined as at or below. So, if it is said at least, I have to choose lower number, but what is it? Is it 49.9; 49.99; 49.999; or... So that's why I think [tex]PR_{50}[/tex] is the best "hyprotika.wordpress.com"[/URL]

Problem c is just using z-score right? So I don't have to apply Normal Curve Equivalent here? Finding z-score for male rate, then using mean and standard deviaton for female rate, then that's the answer. Is it right?

Thanks for the answer. [PLAIN]"hyprotika.wordpress.com"[/URL]
    [b]1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]

[b]2. Relevant equations[/b]

[b]3. The attempt at a solution[/b]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

If you want the percentage of women who lived to at least [tex] 50 [/tex] you want to calculate

[tex]
    \Pr(X \ge 50)
    [/tex]

For the second question (I think this is what you are saying) if you can determine how many standard deviations [tex] 35 [tex] is from the mean lifetime for men, you need to find the age for women that is the same number of standard deviations from their mean.

4. Oct 6, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Since the normal distribution is a continuous distribution, not just integer valued, the probability a woman will live to be "exactly" 50 is 0 (the integral of the probility density "from 50 to 50" is 0). The probability a woman will live to be "greater than or equal to 50" and "greater than 50" are the same.

5. Oct 8, 2008 #4
    So, it is 100%-PR(50), right?
    Gosh, I do it with PR (49.9) uuu.gif

6. Oct 8, 2008 #5
    --EDITED--
    Double post, sorry. "hyprotika.wordpress.com"[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook