Statistics and Probability Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses several problems and their solutions, including finding E(X) for a given set of values, determining the chances of winning a game involving a fair coin, calculating the probability of a student studying mathematics and enrolling in engineering, and finding the probability of being accepted into two universities. The conversation also includes a request for help on completing nine assignments.
SHOSHO19
1)X=0,1,2,3,4

FIND E(X)

The attempt at a solution:

E(X)= (4 X)(.4)X (,6)4-X

2) YOU CAN TOSS A FAIR COIN UP TO 7 TIMES.YOU WILL WIN 1000$ IF THERE TAILS APPEAR BEFORE A HEAD IS ENCOUNTERED. WHAT ARE YOU CHANCES OF WINING ?

The attempt at a solution:
2*2*2*2*2*2*2=128

3)In a study to correlate senior year high school students scores in mathematics and enrollment in engineering colleges a 1000 students were surveyed:
400 have studied mathematics
Engineering enrollment shows that of the 1000 seniors:
150 have studied mathematics
29 have not
Determine the probability of:
a-A student who studied mathematics is enrolled in engineering
b-A student who neither studies mathematics nor enrolled in engineering
c-A student is not studying engineering

I do not understand it =(

4) Graduating high school seniors with an ACT score of at least 26 can apply to two universities A, and B, for admission. The probability of being accepted in A is 0.4 and in B is 0.25. The chance of being accepted in both universities is only 15%
a-Determine the probability that the student is accepted in B given that A has granted admission as well
b-is the probability that admission will be granted in A given that the student was accepted in B?

I do not understand it =(

I have 9 homeworks
I worked 5 and left 4 and I ask you to help me =(

Physics news on Phys.org
Up :(

happy to help, but you need to attempt some work.. what have you tried

also, please try and write down your questions just as they are given, or be vry clear, they are quite difficult to follow

1. What is the difference between statistics and probability?

Statistics is the study of collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data, while probability is the study of the likelihood of events occurring. Statistics uses data to make inferences and predictions, while probability uses mathematical principles to quantify uncertainty.

2. What are some common uses of statistics in real life?

Statistics is used in a variety of fields, including business, finance, healthcare, and social sciences. It is used to analyze data and make informed decisions, such as predicting stock market trends, determining the effectiveness of a new medical treatment, or understanding consumer behavior.

3. How is probability used in everyday life?

Probability is used in everyday life to make decisions and assess risk. For example, when tossing a coin, the probability of getting heads or tails is 50%. This can also be applied to gambling, insurance, and weather forecasting.

4. What is the role of hypothesis testing in statistics?

Hypothesis testing is an important aspect of statistics that allows researchers to make conclusions about a population based on a sample. It involves setting up a hypothesis, collecting data, and using statistical methods to determine if the results are statistically significant.

5. How do you calculate the mean, median, and mode?

The mean is calculated by adding all the values in a dataset and dividing by the number of values. The median is the middle value in a dataset when the values are arranged in ascending or descending order. The mode is the most frequently occurring value in a dataset.