1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics Problem: finding a PDF using the CDF technique

1. Oct 30, 2012 #1
    Hey guys, I'm stuck on a question in my homework assignment and I was wondering if you could push me in the right direction? So here's the question:

X and Y are continuous random variables with joint pdf f(x,y)= 4xy (0<x<1, 0<y<1, and otherwise 0). Find the pdf of T=X+Y using the CDF technique.

So this is how I started off, I first let G(t) be the CDF of T, then I look at three different cases:
    t<=0: G(t) = P[X+Y<=t] = 0
    t>=2: G(t) = P[X+Y<=t] = 1
    0<t<2: G(t) = P[X+Y<=t] = ?
    So here I'm a little confused, I'm trying to figure out the limits of the double integral I'm supposed to take, I think I might have to take one integral from 0<t<1, then another from 1<=t<2, but then I'm stuck with two "functions" (one from (0,1), one from [1,2)) for my g(t). Are there any possible limits for this double integral that would save me from having to separate 0<t<2 into two double integrals?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are correct in that you do need different integrals for t > 1 and t < 1. If you use the cdf method this is unavoidable. (Other, completely different, methods are easier, but you are told not to use them.)

RGV

4. Oct 30, 2012 #3
    Oh, okay, so how do I get a g(t) with only one function from 0<t<2 instead of having:
    g(t)={f(t), t<1
    h(t), t>1)
    ?

Does it make sense to write:
    G(t)={0, t<0
    F(t), t<1
    H(t), t>1
    1, t>2}
    as:
    G(t)={0, t<0
    F(t)+H(t), 0<t<2
    1, t>2}
    ?

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I was doing the other part of the question wrong.. thanks for your help!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook