What is the relationship between fuel economy and engine type in Europe?

• Thread starter BryMan92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stats
In summary: The overall mean is just a linear combination of the two individual means, \bar{X} = \alpha \bar{P} + (1-\alpha)\bar{D} Which gives, \bar{X} = \alpha \bar{P} + k(1-\alpha)\bar{P} Now rearranging for \bar{P} gives, \bar{P} = \frac{\bar{X}} {\alpha + k(1-\alpha)} and therefore, \bar{D} = \frac{k \bar{X}} {\alpha + k(1-\alpha)}Uart, this
BryMan92

Homework Statement

I am analyzing fuel economy of vehicles in Europe. Since there are gasoline (lower MPG) and diesel (higher MPG) I assumed the distribution to be bimodal. I am trying to deconstruct the data into a gasoline MPG and a diesel MPG. I have attached an image to explain my approach.

2. The attempt at a solution

I'm no statistician, so forgive me while I break math. I figured I could treat this system like balancing a lever on a fulcrum. Essentially, I said a diesel vehicle is 40% more than a petrol vehicle and the red line is a given average of the MPGs. So, I did the following maths:

% of Cars for Petrol * x = % of Diesel* (1-x)
x=7/10, x'=3/10

So, I said the gasoline vehicles would receive a 70% (the distance) *40% (difference in fuel economy) reduction, or (1-.7*.4)(Average), while diesel would receive a (1+30%*40%)(Average). Would this, by any chance, work or be accurate??

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• justify.png
    justify.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey BryMan92 and welcome to the forums.

There is a technique known as the EM algorithm, and when you apply it to a mixture of normal distributions with their own peaks (i.e. in this case for diesel and other), you can calculate the PDF that converges to that particular distribution with the bimodal property.

From there you can calculate anything from expectation, variance, probabilities and so on.

Thanks, chiro! I am glad to know there is a way to do this. My problem is, I do not have a large stats background. From what Google told me, it doesn't seem likely that I will be able to learn how to do this.

I am curious, would I even have enough information to solve it? I know % diesel, % petrol, and the estimated difference in MPG. Is there some kind of formula I could plug into?

Thank you so much!

BryMan92 said:

Homework Statement

I am analyzing fuel economy of vehicles in Europe. Since there are gasoline (lower MPG) and diesel (higher MPG) I assumed the distribution to be bimodal.[snip]
On a more basic level, have you looked at the data? Is it, in fact, bimodal?

I do not have the data, I just have an average of the ENTIRE MPG of the country. I know %diesels and %gas vary change, but other than exact #s, I have some data that shows the average of a gasoline is 48 MPG, while the average of the diesel is 69 MPG.

The difference in MPG between diesel and gasoline is pretty large, so I assume it would be bimodal. For some countries, the ratio between the amount of gasoline and diesel vehicles was close leading me to think the average is too high for gasoline and too low for diesel. This is why I assume bimodal. But, for countries that are 75/25 I just assumed the average was close enough to be treated as say a diesel estimate.

Image 1 shows equal amounts, while image 2 shows a bias.

Attachments

• justify1.png
    justify1.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 398
  • jusify 3.png
    jusify 3.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
Ok Bry, so what you're really asking is this:

- You have a fleet that consists of petrol vehicles P and diesel vehicles D.

- You know the percent which are P and the percent which are D. Say [itex]N_P/N = \alpha [/itex] and [itex]N_D/N = (1-\alpha)[/itex], where N is the size of the entire fleet.

- You know (estimate) that the average fuel efficiency of the diesel fleet is some given constant times that of the petrol fleet, [itex]\bar{D} = k \bar{P} [/itex].

- You know the average fuel economy (MPG) of the entire fleet, let's call it [itex]\bar{X}[/itex]

- From the above data you wish to estimate the values of [itex]\bar{P}[/itex] and [itex]\bar{D}[/itex], the individual fuel economies of the petrol and diesel fleets.

Is that a correct problem statement? If so this is very easily solved.

... continued.

The overall mean is just a linear combination of the two individual means,

[tex] \bar{X} = \alpha \bar{P} + (1-\alpha)\bar{D} [/tex]

Which gives,

[tex] \bar{X} = \alpha \bar{P} + k(1-\alpha)\bar{P} [/tex]

[tex] \bar{X} = [\alpha + k(1-\alpha)] \bar{P} [/tex]

Now rearranging for [itex]\bar{P}[/itex] gives,

[tex] \bar{P} = \frac{\bar{X}} {\alpha + k(1-\alpha)} [/tex]

and therefore,

[tex] \bar{D} = \frac{k \bar{X}} {\alpha + k(1-\alpha)} [/tex]

Last edited:
Uart, this is wicked awesome and exactly what I needed! Thank you so, so, so much!

I have a small amount of other, but I will neglect them! Thank you!

Last edited:
Just a (belated) observation on 'bimodal'. If I were you I'd hit some manufacturer websites and get an idea of the range of values. You might also try contacting your government department responsible for transport. Some are very helpful and have access to raw data that can give you good answers with no modelling.

I do have a small set of data that compares 10 vehicles with petrol and diesel engines (from the makers website), and a large amount from a website called fuelly.com. I hope this image will demonstrate the biomodality!

Also, I am actually working with my countries Department of Energy, already!

Attachments

• Jusify 4.png
    Jusify 4.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 417

1. What is the definition of biomdal question in statistics?

A biomdal question in statistics is a type of question that involves comparing two groups or populations, where the data is distributed in a biomodal or two-humped pattern. This means that there are two distinct peaks or modes in the data, rather than a single normal distribution. This type of question is commonly used in hypothesis testing and can provide valuable insights into differences between groups.

2. How do you identify a biomdal question in a dataset?

To identify a biomdal question in a dataset, you can plot the data on a histogram and look for two distinct peaks or modes. Alternatively, you can use statistical tests such as the Kolmogorov-Smirnov test or the Shapiro-Wilk test to assess whether the data follows a normal distribution. If the p-value of these tests is less than 0.05, it indicates that the data is not normally distributed and may have a biomodal distribution.

3. What are the main challenges in analyzing biomdal questions?

The main challenge in analyzing biomdal questions is determining the cause of the two distinct peaks or modes in the data. This can be due to different underlying populations, measurement errors, or other factors. It is important to carefully consider the data collection process and potential confounding variables when interpreting the results of a biomdal question.

4. How do you compare the two groups in a biomdal question?

To compare the two groups in a biomdal question, you can use statistical methods such as t-tests or ANOVA. These tests can determine whether there is a significant difference between the means of the two groups. Additionally, you can also use non-parametric tests, such as the Mann-Whitney U test, if the data does not meet the assumptions of parametric tests.

5. What are some real-world examples of biomdal questions?

Some real-world examples of biomdal questions include comparing the effectiveness of two different medications on a particular health condition, comparing the average income between two different job industries, or comparing the test scores of students who studied using different study techniques. These types of questions can provide valuable insights for decision-making in various fields such as healthcare, economics, and education.