1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stats: Making histogram

1. Sep 10, 2007 #1
    I have a quick question regarding a stats problem in my girlfriend's text. It is pretty easy I suppose, but I am not quite sure; the text does not appear to give a "general form" of how to obtain the info.

Feel free to correct me if I misuse words here, I am not familiar with the stats lingo yet.

It is asking to make a histogram. There is a table that gives us each state (the individual) and the number of Medical Doctors per 100,000 people is in each state (<--the variable, I presume).

Now I know that I find the Range by subtracting the Lowest Actual variable from the Highest actual Variable.

Here is where I am getting a little lost: I think now I am supposed to divide the actual range by the "class size" in order to find the number of classes so I can start to draw my histogram.

But how do I choose the size of each class? Is it arbitrary?

And why do I use the actuals to compute the range instead of the reasonable beginning/end?

Thanks,
    Casey

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd first plot the data by state to get a "feel."

Class size is arbitrary. It partly depends on whether you'd like the histogram to look like a "normal curve" or can live with "gaps in the middle."

You do not have to use the actual endpoints, but that's one way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?