Probabilities of A & B Occurrences in S

In summary, we have two events A and B with probabilities of 0.7 and 0.6 respectively, and a probability of 0.4 of both events occurring together. The probabilities of A occurring and B not occurring, exactly one of the two events occurring, and neither event occurring can be found by writing out the probabilities and using complements.
bethanyd

Homework Statement

Suppose that A and B are two events of a sample space S such that P(A) = 0.7, P(B) = 0.6 and P(AinterceptB) = 0.4.
What are the probabilities of the following:
1. A occurs and B does now
2. Exactly one of the two events occurs
3. Neither event occurs.

I have tried this but the issue I am having is that I'm confused by the wording. We didn't really do anything like this in class, so I have no examples which coincide. Any help?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
P(A/B)= p(AnB)/P(B) which is the probability that B occurs given that A has already occured
to find the Probabilities...write out the the probability that you have to find...e.g P(A or B occurring) etc...

Hey

Sorry, I meant, "A occurs but B does not"... Would that simply be P(A)?

If P(A) means the probability that A occurs then for A to occur and B not to occur

then you'd want P(AnB')

1. What is the probability of two independent events occurring together?

The probability of two independent events occurring together is the product of their individual probabilities. This is known as the "product rule" or the "multiplication rule" of probability.

2. How do you calculate the probability of A or B occurring?

The probability of A or B occurring is calculated by adding the individual probabilities of A and B, and then subtracting the probability of both A and B occurring together (since this was already accounted for in the individual probabilities).

3. What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events that do not affect each other's probabilities. For example, the outcome of a coin toss does not affect the outcome of a dice roll. Dependent events are events where the outcome of one event affects the probability of the other event. For example, drawing a red card from a deck and then drawing another card without replacing the first one would be a dependent event, as the probability of drawing a red card on the second draw would be affected by the first draw.

4. How does the sample space affect the calculation of probabilities?

The sample space is the set of all possible outcomes for a given event. It is important to correctly identify the sample space in order to accurately calculate probabilities. If the sample space is not correctly identified, the probabilities may be incorrect.

5. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probabilities?

Theoretical probabilities are calculated based on mathematical principles and assumptions, while experimental probabilities are determined through actual experiments or observations. Theoretical probabilities can be used to predict outcomes, while experimental probabilities are based on actual data and may be more accurate in certain situations.