1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steady state heat equation in concentric spherical shells

1. Jul 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

I'm trying to find the steady state solution to the heat equation for a system of spherical shells (looks like http://correlatingcancer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/nanoshell-thumb.jpg" [Broken]) where heat generation Q occurs in the outer shell (so I have two Laplace equations for the inner sphere and the medium outside the system and a Poisson equation for the outer shell). The system is also spherically symmetric, so the equations are just in the radial variable.

I know the solution for the Laplace equation in this case is T(r) = A + B/r and I believe that in the case of the inner region, B must be zero since the solution has to be finite at the origin. This means the solution is a constant. However, if the solution is constant, then the boundary condition on the heat conduction at the inner radius can't hold, since dT/dr = 0. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Can someone help me out?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2011 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is no steady state solution if there is a non-zero flux inwards. Think about it: the core will get hotter and hotter without limit. Steady state will occur when outwards conduction matches the one half of the generated heat that is conducted inwards, giving a net flux of zero and a core temperature equal to the temperature of the shell where heat is generated.

4. Jul 20, 2011 #3
    Thanks. I had been thinking about that, but my brain's natural tendency to avoid hard work made me doubt it. :P I'll get to work on the full heat equation then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook