Steam, Piston-cylinder system polytropic

In summary: I'll need to look into the properties of steam to do this, but that looks like the best way to go about this problem.In summary, Homework Equations states that work, in BTU, is done to convert steam from a 500lbf/in^2 initial state to a Final state of 990.58 BTU/lbm.
Ready2GoXtr

Homework Statement

Steam in a piston-cylinder assembly undergoes a polytropic process, with n = 2. The initial state is p1 = 500lbf/in^2, v1 = 1.701 ft^3/lbm and u1 = 1363.3 BTU/lbm. IN the final state, u2 = 990,58 BTU/lbm. During the process, there is heat transfer from the steam of magnitude 342.9 BTU. THe mass of the steam is 1.2 lbm. Neglecting changes in kinetic and potential energies, calculate the work of the process, in BTU, and the final specific volume in ft^3/lbm.

Homework Equations

W=Q-dU

The Attempt at a Solution

So far all I can do is answer the first part of the question:
W = -342.9 BTU - m(u2-u1)
W = 104.4

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ready. This looks a bit tricky. I don't know of any way to directly calculate this. The only way I can do this is to pull values from the steam tables such that they match the requirements for final internal energy and polytropic exponent. When I do that, I can find the final state. Note that the final state will be saturated (ie: a mixture of saturated gas and liquid).

VOF = 0.853, P=100 psia, T=327.7 F

I'm wondering if we can take the first sentence at face value, that PV2 is constant? And not worry about whether there is a mixture of liquid and vapor ...

EDIT:
Q_Goest, shouldn't the volume increase? It may not condense into liquid after all.

Last edited:
Okay, I've got a solution that says the steam does not condense (checked it with a steam table).

Hint: what does U tell us about the product P*V? Use that, and the P*V2 relation, to get a solution for Pfinal and Vfinal.

EDIT:

I'll have to retract this suggestion. I was thinking that P*V/U should be a constant, but we can't simply assume that for a real gas.

Q_Goest's suggestion to use steam tables looks like the right approach.

Last edited:

What is a steam, piston-cylinder system polytropic?

A steam, piston-cylinder system polytropic is a thermodynamic process in which steam is used to drive a piston within a cylinder. This process is often used in steam engines to convert the energy of steam into mechanical work.

How does a steam, piston-cylinder system polytropic work?

In a steam, piston-cylinder system polytropic, steam is introduced into the cylinder through a valve, causing the piston to move. As the steam expands, it pushes the piston, converting the pressure of the steam into mechanical work. The piston then returns to its original position as the steam is released from the cylinder through an exhaust valve.

What is the polytropic process in a steam, piston-cylinder system?

The polytropic process in a steam, piston-cylinder system is a type of thermodynamic process in which the pressure and volume of the steam change, but the relationship between them remains constant. This means that the process follows a specific pressure-volume relationship, known as the polytropic equation.

What are the applications of a steam, piston-cylinder system polytropic?

A steam, piston-cylinder system polytropic has a wide range of applications, including steam engines, power plants, and refrigeration systems. It is also commonly used in industrial processes such as compression and expansion of gases.

What are the advantages of using a steam, piston-cylinder system polytropic?

The use of a steam, piston-cylinder system polytropic allows for efficient conversion of steam energy into mechanical work. It is also a simple and reliable process that can be easily controlled and adjusted. Additionally, the use of steam as the working fluid is environmentally friendly and readily available.