1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steam, Piston-cylinder system polytropic

1. Mar 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Steam in a piston-cylinder assembly undergoes a polytropic process, with n = 2. The initial state is p1 = 500lbf/in^2, v1 = 1.701 ft^3/lbm and u1 = 1363.3 BTU/lbm. IN the final state, u2 = 990,58 BTU/lbm. During the process, there is heat transfer from the steam of magnitude 342.9 BTU. THe mass of the steam is 1.2 lbm. Neglecting changes in kinetic and potential energies, calculate the work of the process, in BTU, and the final specific volume in ft^3/lbm.

2. Relevant equations
    W=Q-dU
    3. The attempt at a solution

So far all I can do is answer the first part of the question:
    W = -342.9 BTU - m(u2-u1)
    W = 104.4

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2009 #2

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Ready. This looks a bit tricky. I don't know of any way to directly calculate this. The only way I can do this is to pull values from the steam tables such that they match the requirements for final internal energy and polytropic exponent. When I do that, I can find the final state. Note that the final state will be saturated (ie: a mixture of saturated gas and liquid).

VOF = 0.853, P=100 psia, T=327.7 F

4. Mar 4, 2009 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm wondering if we can take the first sentence at face value, that PV2 is constant? And not worry about whether there is a mixture of liquid and vapor ...

EDIT:
    Q_Goest, shouldn't the volume increase? It may not condense into liquid after all.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  5. Mar 4, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay, I've got a solution that says the steam does not condense (checked it with a steam table).

Hint: what does U tell us about the product P*V? Use that, and the P*V2 relation, to get a solution for Pfinal and Vfinal.

EDIT:

I'll have to retract this suggestion. I was thinking that P*V/U should be a constant, but we can't simply assume that for a real gas.

Q_Goest's suggestion to use steam tables looks like the right approach.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook