1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steam Tables: Oil fired boiler questions

1. May 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is from a practice mechanical science exam for HNC engineering.

See attachment for the question sheet off a practice exam. I have no idea how to do this after the a and b parts and my answers for which are below the question (underlined), any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Relevant equations
    Q = M*c*(Temperature Difference)
    I think...

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should double check your calculations for parts a) and b).

According to the problem statement, the boiler operates at a pressure of 1050 kPa. {At least, that's what I can read from the tiny image attached.}

Your solution for part a) says that the properties of saturated steam are for at pressure of 1.5 bar.

Your solution for part b) appears to be using the enthalpy of superheated steam at a pressure of 1.5 bar.

What's the definition of a bar?

4. May 8, 2015 #3
    Ah I see my mistake with the answer now, 1050kpa would be 10.5 bar not 1.5 Bar

1.5 bar is 1.5x10^5 pa or n/m^2

Will correct mistake, input correct figures for h and include a better image...

5. May 9, 2015 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted