Understanding how to use steam tables

• Thread starter reed2100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Steam
In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionOne of the data sets gives me a temperature and pressure of 75 C and 500 KPa, nothing else. I looked at water's saturated steam tables for this temperature and pressure. I found that P>Saturated Pressure and T<Saturated Temperature (at these given values), so I'm assuming that I'm actually looking at a compressed liquid. I then looked at the steam tables for compressed liquid, but I can't find a data set for 75 C and 500 KPa. The temperature range includes 75 C, but all the pressures are in the multiple MPa's. Can someone help me clarify how to properly approach these tables? I'm a bit confused here. Any and all help is appreciated,
reed2100

Homework Statement

I have a table for 5 sets of data. Each set includes data from one ore more of the following properties - temperature, pressure, energy, and steam quality. I have to look at steam tables for water to find the missing values. For the data set in question I'm given T = 75 C, and P = 500 KPa. I need to find the energy and steam quality, and from steam quality I get number of phases present.

Homework Equations

for finding x or energy if calculation is required - u = x*(u liquid) + ((1-x)*(u gas))
just rearrange the above to find x if needed

The Attempt at a Solution

One of the data sets gives me a temperature and pressure of 75 C and 500 KPa, nothing else. I looked at water's saturated steam tables for this temperature and pressure. I found that P>Saturated Pressure and T<Saturated Temperature (at these given values), so I'm assuming that I'm actually looking at a compressed liquid. I then looked at the steam tables for compressed liquid, but I can't find a data set for 75 C and 500 KPa. The temperature range includes 75 C, but all the pressures are in the multiple MPa's. Can someone help me clarify how to properly approach these tables? I'm a bit confused here. Any and all help is appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
reed2100 said:

Homework Statement

I have a table for 5 sets of data. Each set includes data from one ore more of the following properties - temperature, pressure, energy, and steam quality. I have to look at steam tables for water to find the missing values. For the data set in question I'm given T = 75 C, and P = 500 KPa. I need to find the energy and steam quality, and from steam quality I get number of phases present.

Homework Equations

for finding x or energy if calculation is required - u = x*(u liquid) + ((1-x)*(u gas))
just rearrange the above to find x if needed

The Attempt at a Solution

One of the data sets gives me a temperature and pressure of 75 C and 500 KPa, nothing else. I looked at water's saturated steam tables for this temperature and pressure. I found that P>Saturated Pressure and T<Saturated Temperature (at these given values), so I'm assuming that I'm actually looking at a compressed liquid. I then looked at the steam tables for compressed liquid, but I can't find a data set for 75 C and 500 KPa. The temperature range includes 75 C, but all the pressures are in the multiple MPa's. Can someone help me clarify how to properly approach these tables? I'm a bit confused here. Any and all help is appreciated, thank you.
What is 500 KPa expressed in units of MPa? This should be a simple conversion. What do the prefixes K and M stand for in the SI system?

SteamKing said:
What is 500 KPa expressed in units of MPa? This should be a simple conversion. What do the prefixes K and M stand for in the SI system?
Yes, 500 KPa is .5 MPa unless I'm mistaken. I kept the conversions in mind. On the compressed liquid table the lowest pressure available is 5 MPa.

reed2100 said:
Yes, 500 KPa is .5 MPa unless I'm mistaken. I kept the conversions in mind. On the compressed liquid table the lowest pressure available is 5 MPa.
Then get another table.

You can get tables from the NIST website which cover a greater range of pressures for compressed liquid.

http://www.nist.gov/srd/upload/NISTIR5078-Tab3.pdf

The internal energy can't be varying much with pressure for a compressed liquid because water is nearly incompressible. So just use the saturated value.

SteamKing's link seems to exactly answer the question, i see an entry for 0.5mPa and 75C
but the number is strange to me because I'm used to ASME 1968 tables in BTU's and Fahrenheit... and that table doesn't say...
314.4 ? I suppose it's an SI value for something ? Looks about right to be kJ per kg , around 135 BTU/lb ,
per http://www.endmemo.com/sconvert/kj_kgbtu_lb.php

jim hardy said:
SteamKing's link seems to exactly answer the question, i see an entry for 0.5mPa and 75C
but the number is strange to me because I'm used to ASME 1968 tables in BTU's and Fahrenheit... and that table doesn't say...
314.4 ? I suppose it's an SI value for something ? Looks about right to be kJ per kg , around 135 BTU/lb ,
per http://www.endmemo.com/sconvert/kj_kgbtu_lb.php
Yes. My steam tables give 313.9 kj per kg at saturation pressure

Likes jim hardy
Chestermiller said:
Yes. My steam tables give 313.9 kj per kg at saturation pressure
Thanks Chestermiller ! Makes sense now.

With Imperial steam tables enthalpy of compressed water is almost intuitive, ~a BTU/lb per degF above 32.
75C is on Fahrenheit scale 135 degrees above freezing, so around 135BTU/lb . And as you said pressure has a very minor effect.

old jim

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your help! I appreciate it.

1. What are steam tables and why are they important?

Steam tables are reference tables that provide thermodynamic properties of water and steam. They are important because they allow scientists and engineers to easily calculate properties such as temperature, pressure, and enthalpy of water and steam at different conditions.

2. How do I read a steam table?

To read a steam table, you need to first determine the state of the substance (liquid or vapor), and then find the corresponding values for temperature and pressure. These values can then be used to calculate other properties using the table.

3. What are the units used in steam tables?

Steam tables use standard SI units such as temperature in Kelvin (K), pressure in Pascal (Pa), and specific enthalpy in Joule per kilogram (J/kg). Some tables may also include values in other units such as degrees Celsius (°C) and bar (bar).

4. Can I use a steam table for substances other than water?

No, steam tables are specifically designed for water and steam. Different substances have different thermodynamic properties, so using a steam table for another substance would result in inaccurate calculations.

5. How do I use a steam table to solve a problem?

To use a steam table to solve a problem, you first need to identify the known values (such as temperature and pressure) and the unknown value that you want to calculate. Then, find the corresponding values in the table and use them in the appropriate equations to solve for the unknown value.